Removing the new start button ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NiHiLisT, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 NiHiLisT, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Hi folks,

do you guys know a method to remove the start button in Windows 8.1 without using a third party app?
    Are there some registry tweaks to do so?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT: In case you wonder, I'm asking this for someone else. I personally use StartIsBack, though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    the whole point of Windows 8.1 is to bring back the start button for those millions of angered people, I can't imagine why in the world would someone want to remove it and have the OS look gay??

StartIsBack is the best Start Menu Alternative! It give yous the real Start Menu back and has no running service to operate! it integrates right into the OS

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I know, that's why I use it. But like I wrote I'm asking this not for myself, I had a brief discussion about it with the guy that wants to get the button removed, he has his reasons. :D

4. cornandbeans

cornandbeans MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    What people want is start "menu", not start "button". From what I read in forums and comment sections of Microsoft articles, they'd rather not have the button if they don't have menu back.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    ah ok, now it makes sense

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Okay Tito, thanks a lot. Thread can be closed now.