removing Windows 10 spyware (2019)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by stemp, Feb 8, 2019.

1. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    My nieces have new Windows laptops infested with the factory-fresh Windows virus.

I would like to know the best (easiest & most recent) method to remove:
    1) Cortana (completely). All traces. Never to return.
    2) nearly all bundled Windows apps, including Windows Defender, never to return
    3) block all 'phone home' spyware in the OS
    4) stop all automatic updating

A third-.party search app will be used to find local files (because I heard that removing Cortana completely removes Search).

Many thanks for your help.

2. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Those laptops probably have win 10 home versions in which case you may need to do this every few months.Why spend so much effort,just install ltsb2016 or ltsc2019 on those laptops?

3. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Is this what they want or what you want?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    Is it impossible to disable updates on Windows 10 home?

5. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Updates DO keep the computer safe from malware, but the choice seems to fall on the owners of the laptops wouldn't you agree?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    No but comparatively speaking it is more difficult as win 10 home is even more restricted than pro version.You also have to deal with semi annual feature updates on home/pro which will reset most of your customizations. On ltsb/ltsc there are no apps & they only receive monthly security updates,no feature updates for them.

7. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    boyonthebus,
    Microsoft is an NSA collaborator. I don't accept 'all-you-can-eat' updates from an NSA business partner, nor do I trust them. I don't have anything against those who do, but I prefer not to waste endless time downloading the latest NSA exploits, chasing my tail constantly. Neither do my nieces.

Their updates have never done anything for me. I have disabled them for at least the past decade with nothing bad to report.

But I am a bit rusty on Windows 10, mostly because I don't run it myself...which is why I am asking for the latest removal methods here, so far without any help.

I have looked at other pages here and on Google with some methods but they are a lot to swallow and have outdated linked pages and so on. It's unclear what the best current methods are.

I would also prefer not to have to install another version of Windows on their laptops. About a year ago I found an awesome automated Cortana remover that I used on a friend's PC but I have no idea where it is now.

Now with that out of the way, it would be nice if someone has done this and is willing to share.

8. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    Ok, but if I disable updates I can avoid installing Windows. My preference is to disable updates (completely disable them) and remove spyware.

I don't fancy having to download a multi-gigabyte ISO (wherever that is), make data backups, prepare media, install. Disabling junk is preferable.

9. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    If you are that "cautious" then I suggest using linux because nobody here(or anywhere) can claim a "100% spyware/nsa free windows" using any tool/software.

10. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I am sure you will find what you need in the Windows 10 section, and the Members Projects section. Is this what your nieces want? A crippled Windows 10?

11. whitestar_999

Dec 9, 2011
    Your choice then:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-completely-control-windows-10-updates.72203/

12. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009

[REPO] Windows 10 TELEMETRY REPOSITORY

13. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    1) it's not my choice what the school makes them use
    2) I simply want updates disabled in Windows 10 and mentioned I didn't trust Microsoft's (an NSA collaborator) all-you-can-eat updates, nor cared for the time wasted when dealing with force-fed fresh NSA exploits. Never suggested 100% NSA-free spyware-free anything. Using Windows or Android or iOS or Linux or whatever hardly guarantees no spyware. The idea is to get rid of as much of it as you can and keeping the system running responsive and leaner than the factory install.

Well this has been fun. People telling me what I'd rather be doing instead of helping me do what I outlined in the first post. No worries guys, it's easier wasting time on Google than doing it here. I'll find the answers with some effort...

14. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    Yes, looked there. It's not clear what is current and what the best methods are. Way too much duplication, outdated links/info in some parts, etc.

15. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
    It already comes crippled out of the box. Just loved your condescending tone ever since your first response to me. Wonderful.

16. stemp

stemp MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2018
  17. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    @stemp I think you are way paranoid. The NSA really doesn't care about your nieces' computers even if they were involved with MS. I can just see you disabling something, or ripping something out that is needed. Please be careful.

18. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Disabling WU is not a good idea in opinion u end up with a unpatched OS

19. cadram

cadram MDL Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I liken this post to someone buying a car, wanting to remove three wheels and the gear change mechanism, because he finds it doesn't meet his overly paranoid expectations.