Rename a Series of Files

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by stacy, May 8, 2007.

1. stacy

stacy MDL Novice

May 1, 2007
    This trick may come in handy when working with large number of similar files. For example When you download photos from your digital camera, file names are usually assigned by camera which are quite unintelligible (however some cameras allow you to change filenames). Whatever be the purpose using this technique you can rename several similar files at one go without editing name of each file manually. This works for all types of files.

1. Open the folder containing files that you want to rename.

2. Select the files you want to rename. If the files you want are not adjacent in the file list, press and hold CTRL, and then click each item to select it.

3. On the File menu, click Rename or press F2.

4.Type the new filename, and then press ENTER. You are done.

All of the files in the series will be named in sequence using the new name you type. For example, if you type Birthday, the first will be named Birthday and subsequent files in the series will be named Birthday (1), Birthday (2), and so on..... To specify the starting number for the series, type the starting number in parentheses after the new file name. The files in the series will be numbered in sequence starting with the number you type. For example, if you type Birthday (10), the other files will be named Birthday (11), Birthday (12), and so on.

2. XBIOSES

XBIOSES MDL Senior Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Thank you for your contribute.

All the Best.

X

3. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    But how in Vista?

I have used this way in XP, but now I have Vista and have tried different play-around ways, suggestions and forums and nothing works in my Vista Home Premium.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

4. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    Thanks for the response and for the link. I took a quick glance to read the info and will give it a try. It may not work with photos and videos of different extensions, but I will give it a shot.

Thanks again.

5. rgsmile

rgsmile MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2008
    No, this did not work. There was a flash message about pics format not usuable, or something like that. These photos are not from a digital camera, but a collection of photos that have been copies, e-mailed, downloaded from ancestry.com, etc...

Thanks, though, for trying to help.