Rename Administrators Account

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by vze2mp9g, Sep 3, 2018.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Can anyone tell me if I can rename the Administrators Account on Windows 10? I reinstalled Windows 10 and I want to give it to someone who really needs a laptop.
    Thank You.

2. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #2 °ツ, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    You can rename a user that is an administrator but I doubt you can rename the administrator account.
    Why would you want to do that anyway, you are not supposed to use the administrator account, you are supposed to create an admin user.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Local Security Policy (%windir%\system32\secpol.msc /s or %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools => Local Security Policy)
    2. If table opens find from left Local Policies => open submenu and find Security Options then from right Accounts: name administrator account

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ginlonta

ginlonta MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2017
    run(windows key +r )type netplwiz.exe then go to advanced options tab-avanced user management... or run lusrmgr.msc

(you can also enable/disable the administrator account there)

5. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you! This is a lot easier!

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Are you sure this was what you meant to do?

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i dont think thats good idea...your going run into problems later when the system mite need top level verification.

8. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Sure, why do you asked?

9. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    You might be right.Then what would be the easiest and BEST way to rename the administrator account?

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Can you please confirm you want to rename the build in ADMINISTRATOR account or just a user account with admin rights?

11. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, this is what I would like to do. I installed the latest Win 10 64Bit and the Admin account, the one you create when you first installed windows, I named it User. I'm giving the computer to a close friend who needs a computer and I want to name it, let say, Dottie. I want this user to have all the privileges as though I installed it for Dottie. No other users on the computer. If anything should go wrong, I could just use Dottie account and fix any issues going on. I don't want to have two accounts on her computer, unless you can have two Admin accounts.
    Thank You.

12. Saxle

Saxle MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2018
    Even if you rename the account, the user profile location (home directory) will still have the old name. (i.e. C:\Users\<User Name>\...)

You could add a new user account through the Netplwiz tool, as stated before. Then select "Properties", "Group membership", and add them to the "Administrators" group. Afterwards you can import any changes you want to that account. This way the user starts with their own fresh account.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It looks like you have forgot, what does mean a computer user who has administrator rights, a computer user who has only user privileges, a computer user who has a limited administrator privileges, and finally, what the built-in administrator account means.
    If you are an administrator of current computer, then you can do what you want and you do not have to rename anything, but give other users the rights that they can do or view. So simple it is and taht's what You should to do. There is no matter, what is the account name, but what are it privileges and how it is protected.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...