Repair install or Clean Install?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mowerman, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm running W7 Ult x64bit that I just discovered was not from an "untouched" iso.
    I've ran Virus checks on the iso I used with Avira and malware checks using Malwarebytes and nothing turned up. I now have an untouched iso that checks out OK using the Hash check method and am wondering if any of you folks feel that I should do a repair install with it, or wipe everything out and do a clean install? Or, being that my original iso checked out OK virus and malware wise should I do anything? Thaks in advance.

2. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    back up all your docs/favorites/etc and then do a clean install. better safe than sorry

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Then you can patch all the system files you like !

Why bother - if it ain't broke don't mess with it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Anyone else have an opinion on this?

5. exo-dan

exo-dan MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    gotta add my two cents....clean install,even when I used XP or Vista.And like most here have said make sure to back up any files you may want.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Herrkarl and exo-dan, Looks like I'll be doing a clean install. As far as backups are concerned, they may take me more time than the clean install. They say "once burned twice learned" so I'm kinda anal about backups. I've got 3 images on 3 separate ext HDD. One from Macrium Reflectr, one for Acronis and one from Windows Backup. And yes, I do all of my W7 installs from Flash Drive Stick. Installs are a lot quicker using them.

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    So seriously - you have no problems that you know of after security checking other than you installed from a "non-untouched" iso and yet you intend to go through the pain and risk of installing from another iso which you believe is untouched ?

I find this fascinating - the forums are full of people who insisted on an "untouched" iso for install and then set out to deliberately patch system files to activate - why bother with the "untouched" iso in the first place ??

PS - how do you know it is untouched anyway ? I know you'll answer hashs etc but how do you really know - you're simply trusting people you don't really know at all.

8. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    :clap3:
    Good statement!

I ever advise the people to use untouched ISOs due potential security issues that can be caused by touched ones. But if you scanned your system and everything is OK, why reinstall?

9. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm trusting that the Hash numbers from MS's Technet site are correct. Those hash numbers match the hash numbers of the iso that I now have. As long as they match, it is "untouched". If you don't trust that, then you might as well not trust the retail copy you buy from Wal-Mart. After all, it could be a Chinese counterfit.

10. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    I never bought a software in a supermarket.:roflmao:

11. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #12 Rosco, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    Seriously - I'm not trying to be a smartarse and I could care less what you do to your system BUT these forums are full of posts from people who played around with a working system only to end up in hell -

Remember - there is much wisdom in the old adage - "if it ain't broke don't mess with it !"

12. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
    #13 iamanoob, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    What i would do?
    1. back up the data you don't want to lose
    2. Do a Clean Install (i love Clean Installs; my laptop is much more responsive, it's the same feeling as driving a new car)
    3. This time.. create another partition to store your data, aside from "C" drive (this way; when you have to do another clean install, all of your important data on the 2nd partition will not be lost.. and the only thing on "C" drive would be Windows and installation files)

Note: after installation is complete.. you can change the directory of "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music", etc to point towards the 2nd partition for convenience.

13. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    or go beyond that, get a second drive and use it as a backup. i have a 1TB for my backup image and other downloads

14. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    iamanoob and timster,

My current setup is that I have "my documents" on the same drive as "C" but I have a 2nd internal HDD that I have a copy of "my Documents" on that I sync weekly. As I may have mentioned before I'm kind of anal about backups, having 3 images on 3 ext HDD's. One each done with Macrium Reflect, Acronis and W7 Backup.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    No matter what would be the preference of others, I prefer a clean install. On my PC, it takes less than 30 mins for installation. The hard work is application software (say 1 hr). Keep all win 7 updates on a hard disk and just install the bigger sized ones, and let win 7 updates take care of the smaller sized ones.

Reg. docs, it is always a better idea to keep partition for programs and OS exclusive. In win 7 library, you can change the properties of documents to the partition that you want. For example, my primary OS hdd is 500 gb. c: is 150 gb, d is for docs and is 125 gb, and e is for photos and is 190 gb. Docs are by default saved in d: