Replacement for a Moto G3 (16Gb)

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by phaolo, Jan 15, 2019.

1. phaolo

phaolo MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    #1 phaolo, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Hello, I own a Moto G3 since 3 years.
    I like it a lot (despite the average processor and camera), but I'll have to substitute it at some point.

I'd like something more powerful to run games and with more battery.
    Sadly, I heard that Motorola was bought by Lenovo, a company I don't like much (hidden spyware, no updates), so no other Moto phones for me.

Some requirements:
    - budget: about 200-300€.
    - CPU: well, something better than the Snapdragon 410. And that doesn't overheats too soon.
    - RAM: at least 2GB.
    - battery: bigger than 2470 mAh. Removable?
    - camera: possibly better than 13 MP and with a good sensor. Not a main feature for me, though.
    - storage: at least 16GB. An external card wouldn't be bad.
    - size: 7x14 cm maximum, to fit my pockets.
    - screen: 720p or 1080p are both ok. No notch, please.
    - connection: 4G at least. Bluetooth 4+
    - not too much bloatware (e.g: Samsung). Stock, ideally.
    - possibly water resistant

Do you have any suggestion?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Nowadays it's hard to find a suitable phone.
    Recent development goes far away from my needs. I want smaller phones and I want a screen without any notch or hole! And I want a replaceable battery!

The ideas of the phone makers are sick and are far off from reasonable manufacturing. Who needs a big screen at any costs, even with a s**tty notch or hole for the front cam / speaker?
    I want a screen without any interruptions...who cares about a wider bezel?

Maybe this one fits your needs: Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) SM-A530F

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phaolo

phaolo MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2015
    Thank you, but does any Samsung have stock Android without their irremovable bloatware?

Btw I agree about the notch, but it seems that everyone wants to copy Apple's stupid ideas -_-'

4. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    or Try Moto G7 has more ram now and 32 gb storage..

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #5 Yen, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    No. Samsung comes with their apps. But for me personally it's only a minor issue compared to other brand's issues. (Notch!)
    I simply have disabled those apps I do not like. I am rooted and could remove them completely, but it's not worth the efforts and not worth to lose system integrity because of that (root check apps via Safetynet)

Well, 'stock' Android is only available at Google Pixel models....
    Samsung and Huawei for instance come with their own UI (Samsung experience or One UI / EMUI).

Some others come with AOSP which can be considered as 'stock' as well

I would have recommended Moto G6+. But OP doesn't want Moto anymore.
    I would have recommended the Huawei mate 20 lite or P20 lite, but both have a notch and a bad camera.
    I would have recommended the Honor play, but it's too big for the OP (and has a notch as well)...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Yen,
    I had rooted my Moto G6 Plus and I can able to ARN setting and etc. But 90% that my Moto G6 Plus can disable apps that I dislike it on that too.. I would say 15 apps that I don't like it.. Here catch that my phone is Unlocked model, (Not mention Locked Smartphone with Carrier provider).. AS Long works for me, as long works for you like Samsung.. I had Samsung (Locked carriers) and I had to root it without damage Knox. (tricky ways) and Now can unlocked any carrier. Now my old Samsung is now out of dated and I had for 7 years and time move on different one.. Remember everyone has different taste..

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yeah, that's right.
    Anyway I recommended for OP considering his specifications (size, price, no notch)...

Personally I ever had Samsung. I compared to the competitors. Their hardware is good. When I buy a phone I want top tech level. But I don't buy new ones very frequently. That's my way...
    I started with the Galaxy S--->S3--->S6 Edge (current one).

I stick to it as long as I can, because recent market situation does not satisfy that what I consider a worthy successor.

In the meantime the 'flagships' are too big for me....and the smaller phones are technically crippled...and there is the notch, something that is beyond of good and reasonable design. A joke.
    Would somebody buy a TV where the speakers are within the screen? Never!

It's made to swagger with best screen / bezel ratio coming from Crapple. And the other fools are just copying that.

What I can notice is that current development of tech stuff goes more and more away from that what I consider as amazing and good. It has started with Microsoft windows 10 which never has left the beta status and now the phones...

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    This is a BUSINESS... They are producing and marketing "new" stuff not because it is better or serves you better. By now it is all about the money.
    And Win 10 was the point, when even the last one of those understood, who were willing to recognize reality when it is right in front of their eyes, ...
    Looking back the first one was Avast taking over ccleaner, the preposterous advertising campaign for quantum by firefox, was another example....

Several years ago I remember literally a thousand people waiting for morning in the Ginza Dori in front of the apple shop.. last time there was a dozen.

These are all good signs... unless you dislike recessions....
    And Samsung? Yes, definitely, only Huawei seems that good...

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    When the cellphones started to get a touch screen there were different products / OSes. Samsung started to make their own OS (Bada) and phone series (Samsung wave). The Samsung wave was comparable to the IPhone4.
    They additionally developed the Galaxy S as an Android phone. I had chosen the Galaxy S to be my first 'smart'phone.
    The direct competitor that time had been HTC. There was no Huawei that time.

I'd say until Galaxy S6 which was the first with a 64 bit SoC the tech performance has really and noticeably increased. People got new phones, because the 'old' one was noticeably slower...

After that they 'just' made the screen larger and added a few more lenses with another focal length...today the cellphone market is actually saturated...

Samsung has still their own OS (Tizen) which is found on their TVs and on some smartphones additionally.

As said, Samsung is IMHO still the best phone maker from the perspective of hardware. Just compare the S9+ to the Mate 20 pro. They are similar in screen quality now, but the Huawei has a notch and has no 3.5 jack socket for headphones anymore. (And a stupid nano SD slot)

Huawei was a real alternative for me until they introduced the notch, they have cancelled their boootloader unlock service, they have crippled their smaller lite models by a really bad camera.

Another fact why I still stick to Samsung is because I am very familiar with their firmware and internal tech details...

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thanks, I have very little knowledge about phones, as I still use a simple one with no frills at all and I make about three or four phone calls from it every year.
    I do not exist on twitter or facebook, so my tablet serves me well for the rest. I prefer to be "on call" twice a day, when I am at my desktop. Unlike "normal" people I am a lot less important, and need not be available 24/7. I use a simple Galaxy Tab A. And we also have an Huawei M3, about a year old, when they would send you an e-mail, to unlock the bootloader. It is a real impressive little machine, those four Harman Kardon spakers, incredible sound.
    But... You are right, I had forgotten the change of policy.
    Thanks for the update for my brain...

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Neither do I

LOL. Thanks god that I am not normal as well.
    I enjoy the times being offline. People can call me either way...I don't have to read all the trivial stuff posted on messengers...there's better things to do.
    I have to admit that I was addicted to smartphones first....had to learn again that I actually enjoy the 'silence'...:)