Replacing bios boot logo

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lockheed, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    Will it screw my laptop if I replace the Compaq's boot picture in the Phoenix bios with another image of slightly larger dimensions (but keeping 16 color depth)?

2. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #2 petar, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    The Logo is not just a 16bit image, in fact it has four images compresed inside it.

bitmap-mono.hbk
    bitmap-4bit.hbk
    bitmap-8bit.hbk
    bitmap-24bit.hbk

The image also needs to maintain its original size in horizontal and vertical dimensions and aspect ratio to.

If you want me to, I can make the Logo for you with the same characteristics as the original, I will only need the picture you want to put as a Logo.
    All you have to do is after is replace it using PBE.
    Or I can do the whole procedure for you.

Just provide me we download links for the Logo and if you want to, the bios you want to insert the new logo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
  4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    I see...
    So why PBE allows for replacing the long with just one BMP file?

6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I dont know the answer to the qustion "why PBE alows" replacing the logo with single BMP.
    But just to be on the safe side, I would recomend to make the mod as much posible as the original bios.

7. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    #7 Lockheed, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
    (OP)
    I did an experiment.

With PBE, I put my new single BMP logo inside the bios, built it and then reopened. I extracted the BMP, opened with HexEdit and, lo and behold, the same 4-files table appears.

Seems that Phoenix Bios Editor does all the dirty work.

8. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Hmmm...Interesting..
    Didnt knew that.
    I would have used photoshop to edit the logo, but since PBE does it automaticly, there is no need...:D

9. Lockheed

Lockheed MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2008
    Just to conclude my thread for those looking for such info in the future:

Using Phoenix Bios Editor 2.2.0.1, I managed to change the logo to a custom made one of different dimentions and it worked like a charm.

It was a regular HP/Compaq laptop bios.

10. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    Sorry to pop in like this but can any one tell me how to open the bios file for compaq v6604 laptop. I have the phoenix bios editor but still i am unable to open the bios files, Whenever i try to open it it says select a rom file,now thats really weird because in the bios flasher provided by compaq there is a wph file and no roms this is totally driving me nuts . I hope you guys can help.Thanx in advance.

striker..