1. ZadesLegacy

ZadesLegacy MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2017
    Ok so I have a friend who does custom PC mods that are way beyond me (and that's that I am pretty good with PC building, mods and tweaks) He has custom Graphics cards he tweaked himself that absolutely obliterate anything on the market right now. All I know is that they run on custom drivers (self made of course) and (I believe) they are ridiculously modded versions of the Radeon 8000 series cards. Now here is the real question. One of the mods he did was that he removed the on board VRAM and pinned out slots for DDR4 Memory Sticks. He has 5 of these cards each sporting 16gb worth DDR4 Ram being used as Vram. In theory this should make is graphics memory slower but somehow it actually was an INCREASE in overall memory speed. His system views it as one ridiculously over powered unrecognizable Frankenstein of a card that destroys benchmarks across the board. I have tried to get him to explain to me how he did this but he likes to keep his custom built card secrets to himself. Is there anyone on this form genius enough who can tell me how this is even accomplished? No one here can say its impossible as I have seen it in action myself with the DDR4 Ram installed. Granted the setup is extremely power hungry, (requiring a 240 volt plug) but it works and I need to know how. The only other clue he told me was that the technology for this has already been invented a while back, the only thing that needed to be done was the re-pin of the VRAM to DRAM setup.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Doesn't the 8000 series run with GDDR5? Can you post links to his benchmark results? Surely he'd be bragging online.
    Modding is one thing but a lot of the above sounds like your "mate" is pulling your leg!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    if hes that good he should be working for NVIDIA ;)

4. ZadesLegacy

ZadesLegacy MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2017
    Ok, I'll ask him for the benchmarks

5. ZadesLegacy

ZadesLegacy MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2017

Yes I believe so. The guy works with robotics and micro circuitry as his main job. This GPU thing he did was for bragging rights lol, I'll see if I can get you some benchmarks or something