REQ: Internet Connection Checker for Virtual Machines.

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by JosPhantasmE, Sep 24, 2012.

1. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    I'm having a problem lately with my VMs, after a while the internet connection just stop working and is like the machine is connected to the network but with no internet access.

By disabling and enabling back the internet adapter the computer start to have internet again, so I was wondering while I solve the problem, is there any software that will check the internet connection periodically and if there's no internet connection then that software will restart the Ethernet Card (Internet Adapter)?

Please any ideas or workaround I'll appreciate it.

Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen.

2. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    NAT.
    Yes I installed VMTolls.
    DHCP

And I'm sorry for the crapy info I'm still new in all of this.

Thanks.

3. JosPhantasmE

JosPhantasmE MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks, is working just fine now.

4. haileris

haileris MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    I guess you could do a quick script to ping the default gateway, and if you don't get a response then use netsh to disable / enable the g/w- connection (run it as a scheduled task). But hopefully that bridged connection advice worked, this is a real crude workaround.

5. shinji

shinji MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2009
    Mostly because NAT is an internal IP so it doesn't change. Bridge takes from the local network and doesn't work everywhere plus the IP in the VM changes each time you change networks. In addition some routers don't like multiple DHCP IP requests coming from the same mac address (the router only sees your computer physical mac -- not the virtual mac).

6. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    What you say there is total nonsense. The DHCP server would give the same IP in that case (Presuming static allocations).