Request for Asus OEM Partition(s) backup

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kukubau, Jan 25, 2014.

1. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    #1 kukubau, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Hi all

Is anyone that owns an Asus computer that came with Windows 8/8.1 preinstalled willing to share a backup after the partition layout (recovery partition, etc)? The backup can be built using Paragon Hard Disk Manager WinPE on an usb drive.

I really need the partition scheme, because I want to clone it on my laptop which came without a preinstalled OS. The reason being that I'd like to access the secure boot option inside the BIOS, even though I'm aware that my laptop's bios lacks the MSDM tables.

Thank you

2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I think SecureBoot in UEFI (you ment UEFI becaus the normal BIOS hasn't the SecureBoot-Option) and MSDM tables are very different things.
    The first one checks if the bootloader is certified the right way and the later one is required for Key-insertation and/or SLIC/OEM activations.

For the rest there isn't a reason to have an exact byte per byte copie of the partition-layout because of security. As said before the SecureBoot in UEFI only looks for a the right way certifyed bootloader which Windows 8 installs the proper way. Enabling SecureBoot with Widnows 8 isn't very complicated to achieve and certanly without any partitioning magic.

3. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    The UEFI Firmware Settings routine of activating Secure Boot isn't available for me. Once accessing the UEFI Firmware Settings, I only have the option to restart and modify the UEFI firmware settings. Once inside the settings (bios), the Secure Boot is still inaccessible.

So I'm pretty sure it has to do with the how the recovery, oem partitions are set up.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Restart your laptop and keep holding the ESC key to get the BIOS Boot menu

Now choose Enter Setup

now go to the security tab

from there make sure Secure Boot is enabled

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Computers that are sold by the manufacturer without an OS come with the Secure Boot option disabled in the UEFI firmware. The ones with a preinstalled OS eg. Windows7/8/8.1. have the option active.

The only solution is to have the proper UEFI firmware that will enable Secure Boot. And I don't think Asus will be so kind and give it away.

My laptop which I bought with FreeDos, hasn't got the Secure Boot active, and also as I stated before, the UEFI Firmware Settings/BIOS lacks the option. There's no way other than a firmware update. ian82, what you say, was the 1st thing that I tried to do.

Here's what PowerShell is throwing, and this is valid for all computers without a preinstalled OS.

7. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Here's some UEFI technical stuff.

8. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    I was partially right

quote fro another forum

"Well, to get secure boot to work(for whatever reason), you need to let each step of the boot process read back a signed certificate. I.e., bios stage allows a signed partition to be verified, this partition then can boot an OS with signed capabilities, which then lets software be launched from a signed platform, etc. Basically, the OS bootloader has to be signed, and the secure boot option needs to be enabled.

If then the signed bootloader is readable at boot-time by a device that accepts the public key stored in the bootloader, you would have a secure boot chain."

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    My Asus motherboard has an option to either boot a Windows UEFI secureboot system or Other OS

Try going into Boot settings, locate secure boot and change it from Win UEFI to Other if you can.
    If you cannot, then you might not either have secure boot or might not have an option to disable.

10. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Your laptop/PC came with a preinstalled OS, being Windows 7 or Windows 8. Mine didn't, so I don't have that option. The Secure Boot is written in the UEFI firmware, hard-coded and there's nothing I or anyone can do. Only the manufacturer can activate it by using specific firmware tools and firmware. Some of the tools have leaked and are available, but one still needs the firmware to activate Secure Boot. Which I doubt the Asus guys will make it public.

There's tons of information about UEFI and Secure Boot. There's no way to activate Secure Boot on a machine that was sold w/o an OS installed.