Request for BRMSVOL_EN (Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1 VL English)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Arkansaw, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    #1 Arkansaw, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2013
    [RESOLVED] Request for BRMSVOL_EN (Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1 VL English)

I would like to request whoever that has this image (with the correct volume label) in your possession, to kindly upload it somewhere. I know this is a very old image but I just need it for reference purpose, sorry for this unusual request and thanks in advance.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes, but that version (566MB) with volume label BRMSVOL_EN is not available anymore. The version on filesonic is the newer one with volume label BX2SVOL_EN and a filesize of 572MB

4. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    The problem is that it (the image described in Sebus reply) doesn't appear to be any of the current images, possibly an older version of en_win_srv_2003_r2_standard_vl_cd1.iso that you cannot download from MSDN anymore (i.e. you must have it in your possession already)

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    @acrsn

Arkansaw is very specific in what he needs, nothing was tampered with, it is image that existed on MSDN & then it stopped existing, being replaced with something else. From the original CD set I still have Enterprise & Web Server 2003 with SP1, I just do not have Standard any more (most likely ditched it to the bin years ago, as I myself do not collect old code)

sebus

6. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    I already have both of the versions that you listed, they correspond to BX2SVOL_EN and ARMSVOL_EN respectively. If I remember correctly CRMSVOL_EN would be the sp2 version. BX2SVOL_EN probably superceded BRMSVOL_EN for some unknown reason assuming that wasn't a fake image. I just wanted to see for myself what was the difference between these two versions.

7. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    2003 Server SP1 is closely related to XP x64 SP1 (RTM)

Shortly after XP x64 was released:

ARMPXFPP_EN.iso
    ARMPXOEM_EN.iso
    ARMPXVOL_EN.iso

SP1a was released:

AX2PXFPP_EN.iso
    AX2PXOEM_EN.iso
    AX2PXVOL_EN.iso

Judging by the file names for your wanted 2003 SP1, I'm guessing reason is the same as the one for the SP1/a. Some important hotfix (KB911164) was included in the 2nd version. So I doubt you miss much

And no I don't have any of the mentioned 2003

8. MaJo24

MaJo24 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Hi Arkansaw,

if you're still interested in the image file with the label BRMSVOL_EN, I might be able to help you. I managed to reconstruct the image by analyzing the differences between BRMSFPP_EN, BX2SFPP_EN and BX2SVOL_EN such that the file size and hashes match the ones posted by sebus.

If you have any of the other three image files, I can provide you with a matching delta file.

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So there is always hope... @MDL

sebus

10. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi MaJo24

Thanks for your information/ help with this, huge help! :worthy:

11. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    I do have BX2SVOL_EN. I suppose that's worth a try when I actually have time for it. Many thanks for helping with this little academic interest of mine!

12. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    What's the reason that you need that exact iso and not one that matches the iso currently on MSDN?
    I can give you a direct link to x86 server 2003 std sp1 english, but retail only and not volume.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. MaJo24

MaJo24 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2008
    #13 MaJo24, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    No problem. I have uploaded the delta between BX2SVOL_EN and BRMSVOL_EN here:

Code:
    w w w. mediafire. c o m/?5cv2me5bzbywczt
    (Due to my post count, I'm not allowed to post direct links. Please remove the spaces in the above URL.) The archive password is "4mdl". If you're not yet familiar with the usage of xdelta, you can read about it in the stickies here in the forum.

In short, use the following command:

Code:
    xdelta -d -s your_bx2svol_en_image.iso en_win_srv_2003_r2_standard_vl_cd1_old.delta

14. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Academic interest. I just wanted to see if this is a real iso, and what are the differences between it and the current version (although I kinda have a clue on that by now)

15. Arkansaw

Arkansaw MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Finally gotten my hands on the BRMSVOL_EN (11/30/2005) from one rare seeder of "dead" torrents

While it has some marked differences compared to BX2SVOL_EN (03/22/2006) even though both are supposed to be R2 VL, and it is very likely the newer image simply had an extra update or two, what is interesting is that it is nearly identical to ARMSVOL_EN (03/25/2005) which is non-R2 (both had almost nearly the same size with only differences in 2 files: I386\MDMSSYS.IN_ and I386\EULA.TXT). Of course, for those in the know, the meat and butter of R2 really lies in the cd2, and BRMSVOL_EN/ARMSVOL_EN/BX2SVOL_EN is really interchangeable and self-sufficient if one is not interested in the new content that comes with R2.

So BRMSVOL_EN was released since it is supposed to be R2 as compared to ARMSVOL_EN which was not, even though both are essentially the same. Then when an updated version of R2 was released a few months later, BRMSVOL_EN will obviously be superceded since both represent the same SKU: 2003 R2 SP1 - VL, but why was this newer release necessary? Turns out that this was indeed related to the KB911164 as Oz has suggested, and someone else had already noticed this back in 2007 for the Enterprise images: blog .donews.com/darkradx/archive/2007/05/03/1160440.aspx

So the mystery of the undocumented KB911164 can be summaried in the following as disclosed on some Russian forum (quoted from: www .msfn.org/board/topic/99629-retail-xpsp2-and-a-clean-source-flag/page__view__findpost__p__665380):

And the final question: why was M$ so secretive about this? It can't be trivial as otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to press a whole new set of discs over a single hotfix. So most likely they did that out of legal concerns, or for some other reason they would rather people not know about too much. Nevertheless, this should bring closure to many MSDN collectors, as it did for me.

16. Oz

Oz MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    MaJo24 posted a delta to make it ages ago, why didn't you just use that one?