Request for Dell Dimension 2400 (A05) Award BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by buzz123, Nov 2, 2009.

1. buzz123

buzz123 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2009
  2. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Not an award bios...

3. buzz123

buzz123 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2009
    Sorry...

Yes, you are correct...

Looked too quickly and saw it was using the Award Flash utility...

4. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    no, those bioses are not yet moddable...

5. algriffen

algriffen MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    thank you buzz123. I tried it on my Dell 2400 and it works.

6. Mjorgy68

Mjorgy68 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks!! Very Helpful!!

7. DP2201

DP2201 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2010
    Thanks buzz123. I never thought you could get SLIC 2.1 on this behemoth! You are a wizard. It works. For some reason my FDD does not read floppies now. I tried a bootable USB disk with Win98 files but I got a EMM error on running the exe file. Then I got another USB bootable drive with "pure DOS" (? had Win ME on it), and it ran the exe file flawlessly! How in the world did you do this? I am glad it did not fry my 2400 but it was anyway my spare which I was just using for experimentation. :)
    I appreciate your efforts...and time...man that was quite a project you have done..a year plus 1/2!

8. jspcrepair

jspcrepair MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    Okay! How do I do this???
    I have the file but no matter how I try, it simply will not work... here is what I tried so far:

1) Because I have no floppies and they are impossible to find now days... I tried using Hiren's Boot CD and going into "DOS with USB Support" and just as the BIOS begins to flash, the system restarts and nothing happens
    2) I tried burning the files to a CD and booting into DOS and the same thing happened.
    3) I tried to use the program as an EXE and it still would not flash the BIOS.
    4) I tried it from USB and again, nothing
    5) Last night, I even tried a Virtual Floppy and it cant even read the files as an image.
    6) I have tried WinRAR, 7Zip, UltraISO, and Universal Extractor and Nothing can read the files to even extract the ROM's...

How do I do this???
    How can I extract the ROM from this file so that I can use a Dell Flash program from the desktop OR how can this file be made into an exe that operates from inside Windows since this file was packed to run from floppy and I don't use those at all if I can help it???

I need this machine up and running....

9. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Did you try a bootable flash drive? I made one using Rufus it is free.

10. jspcrepair

jspcrepair MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    #13 jspcrepair, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    There is no option in the BIOS to boot from USB because it is a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop PC.
    The only Boot Options are HD, CD, and Floppy (Removable Media),,, there is no USB boot or Network Boot options.
    Even with using the one in the F12 menu, it will not boot because of no USB Support in the Boot Files on the USB Drive.

11. boscru6469

boscru6469 MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Then you will have to make a bootable CD. You may be able to use a CD/RW so you don't waste a CD.

12. jspcrepair

jspcrepair MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2011
    #15 jspcrepair, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    I tried that two times with a CD-RW as well and it will not finish because there is obviously something that needs to write back to the floppy/usb/etc that isnt letting it finish.

What I think I need to do is extract all the files from the floppy.exe image and then run it from a bootable CD but I have not found any way to extract these files... I have tried every extraction program I know of including UniversalExtractor and nothing seems to be able to open or extract the files.

I am at a loss and I do appreciate the work that went into creating the file... just wish it was the .exe that runs from within windows instead of the floppy version... lol

13. MWRadio

MWRadio MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2008
    #17 MWRadio, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    Run Flash utillity from Hard Drive!

jspcrepair wrote:

"Okay! How do I do this???
    I have the file but no matter how I try, it simply will not work... here is what I tried so far:...
    tried that two times with a CD-RW as well and it will not finish because there is obviously something that needs to write back to the floppy/usb/etc that isnt letting it finish."
    ==================
    Anyone else having this same problem, here is what I do when machines don't have working floppies.

1) put flash in root of C: drive
    2) Boot with XPButtsaver disc to NTFS for DOS.
    (You should be able to still find an iso of XPButtsaver disc using Google)
    A.K.A
    WINDOWS BUTT SAVER XP v1.5 -BOOT CD with utilities-
    and
    Buttsaver XP v1.5 I SO
    3) Run flash from hard drive and enjoy!

Just did this June 10 2015.

Looks like you could also do this from Hiren's BootCD 15.2
    (I don't own one so I haven't tried this.)
    Under "FileSystems Tools"
    The list of tools shows:
    NTFS4Dos 1.9 - Read and write ntfs partitions from Dos

BIG Thank You! to
    buzz123
    it works great! :clap:
    Would dearly love a tutorial on how you accomplished this miracle! :worthy:
    MW