Request for help - Activating Windows 10 from HDD to SSD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Palux88, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    #1 Palux88, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Hello to everyone.

Premise: I apologize for my English, I do not speak it well. Please do not use slang with me, I could not understand / translate well.

Situation:
    I installed Windows 8 and after 8.1 (on HDD), I always activated them with the ID trick installation and later by telephone, receiving the activation code.
    I run the free upgrade to Windows 10.
    Windows 10 has always remained active, from the first to the last release, never a problem.
    With a clean install I do not enter any product key, do not run even log in to my Microsoft account.
    If my PC is connected to the internet just installed Windows 10 activation on by itself.
    "Windows is activated with a digital license."
    In any case I logged in with my Microsoft account to bond installation to my account.

Here comes the problem:
    clean install of Windows 10 on SSD.
    I do not enter any produck key.I try to activate Windows 10 with the option "I have changed my hardware etc", then do I login to my Microsoft account, try to activate the account but nothing.

"Is not possibile to communicate with Microsoft servers ... etc etc", again ... again ... always again ... always this sentence.

Then Windows 10 will not activate over the SSD.

Current situation:
    i have a clean install to HDD = Windows 10 Active (digital license)
    i have a clean install to SSD = Windows 10 not active.

How can I transfer the activation?

Thank you. :)

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    Hello and thanks for the reply.

I tried to write in the first posts that I've used that option, unfortunately always returns the phrase that communication is not possible with Microsoft servers. He tells me to try again later...

4. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Did you install the same version I.E Windows 10 Pro on both drives.
    Or did you get your digital licence with Home and install Pro on you SSD, or visa versa ?
    Swapping the hard drive as never affected my digital licence.

5. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    Hello Tnx,

same versione on both drive.
    Windows 10 Pro x64.

with MediaTool creation I created a usb windows 10, starting from my hard disk, I unplugged the hard drive and connected the SSD.
    Installed Windows 10 from usb, logging in with my Microsoft account but it does not proceed with the activation after pressing "I changed my hardware." It tells me that it can not communicate with Microsoft servers.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    When I install Win 10 I never log into my m.soft account. At checking the activation after install all is activated.

Try not logging in and skip that bit and see what happens. Then I presume you could just log in post install.

There should be no need to tell them of your hardware change at all. The HDD\SSD is not part of what they check.

I have two Asus Z77 boards, different boards, one was running an i3 and the other an i5. I purposely swapped the chips over to see what happened. NOTHING. Both machines activated Win 10 as normal. ??????

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #8 lobo11, Dec 7, 2016
    Do tell ?:confused:

It may be seeing licence as being used already on HHD:D

9. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    I am constantly swapping HDD's and SSD's while messing about and not once has my activation not happened. I did it on my sons PC, he bought a whole new set up on Z170 chipset. I installed Win 8.1 and used the tool to activate then upgraded to the free Win 10. Just the other month he bought a new bigger SSD and I installed a fresh Win 10. No issue what so ever with activation.

By all this messing about it does sort of prove swapping hard drives can not effect the digital licence or I would have run into a similar problem.

maybe choosing to alert M.Soft of a change of hardware at the install as done some thing

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Did you unactivate free license on HD before installing on new SSD :confused:

11. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    Nope, first I have heard of such a thing.

I honestly do believe that the hardware check does not include the hard drive, of any type. When I installed my SSD I did a clean install and all went well.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #13 Enthousiast, Dec 7, 2016
    Or he could just re-establish a new HWID with the ssd drive, install 7 SP1 Ultimate and activate by DAZ' Loader and either do the real upgrade or use the gatherosstate/genuineticket shortcut.

ps, it really doesn't matter how the usb installmedia is made, as long as windows will install from it, it's good enough. Formatting the USB FAT32 in explorer and extracting the iso to it will work for uefi and bios installs (for daz loader to be able to work, a MBR/Legacy Bios install is needed).

13. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    I replaced on 2 laptops the HDD with an SSD after cloning the HDD. No activation issue encountered.

14. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    hi @Enthousiast

so the best solution for my case would be to install Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate on my SSD.
    Activate it with "DAZ 'Loader"
    And this will allow me to perform an upgrade to Windows 10?
    But if after the upgrade run a clean installation of Windows 10, the activation remains?
    I ask you a favor, give me the link of DAZ Loader for Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate?

unfortunately HDD cloning or by logging in with M$ account my copy of Windows 10 does not turn on SSD ,while on HDD can install it 100 times that is activated by itself.

thank you so much

15. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Why not pop the old hdd back in and make an image, install the image on the ssd and then perform a system refresh?:g:
    If the ssd wont boot use the system repair feature in the original ISO from a DVD or Pen Drive.

16. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    #Kim100

Hi Kim, because I tried.
    Performing an image of Windows 10 HDD system, when I try to restore it on SSD tells me that the SSD is a smaller size than the hard disk of departure.

HDD => 1 TB but only 30 GB is occupated
    SSD => 275GB (Crucial MX300)

I also tried to clone with Acronis software, nothing. a thousand problems.

what procedure I might try to use?

17. Palux88

Palux88 MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2012
    UPDATE:

I changed cloning software. :)
    Now I have Windows 10 Pro x64 on my SSD and active.

I do a recap and then ask you a question:
    1) two year ago Installed Windows 8.1 and activated with one of the many product key online, disconnected internet and proceeded activated via "Installation ID" via phone, activated.
    2) Upgrade from 8.1 to 10 a year ago -> of course Windows 10 resulted active.
    3) Clean install of Windows 10 -> resulted active.
    4) Cloning HDD to SSD and Windows 10 appears to be active.

5) If I run a clean installation of Windows 10 on SSD, now, it is still active or lose the activation having arrived from a cloning?

Thanks guys :)

18. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Since you have a digital licence, you will not lose your activation.

19. tnx

tnx MDL Expert

Sep 2, 2008
    One thing I have thought about, what board is this being installed onto ? Is it a fairly new board.

As soon as the install was done could you in fact go online straight away or did you have to install the LAN drivers post install.

The lack of LAN drivers would not allow your PC to communicate with the M.Soft servers

Could this be the problem ?

Windows 10 does not hold all the new boards drivers.