Request for SLIC 2.1 BIOS mod for Toshiba Qosmio F15-AV201-R

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Carly203, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Carly203

Carly203 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    #1 Carly203, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Hello, I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I've googled for a SLIC 2.1 mod for this laptop for days and have had no luck. The BIOS is the only one issued for this model and it has no slic table. I would like to install Windows on it. The motherboard information comes from Belarc Advisor. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Manufacturer: Toshiba
    Motherboard Model: TOSHIBA Portable PC Version A0
    Bios revision: ACPI Flash BIOS version 2.00 for Qosmio F15R
    Release Date: 2006-02-01
    Bios Type: TOSHIBA BIOS
    Bios Download Link: h**p://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/qf15rv20.exe
    RW-Everything link: RW-Everything gives an error, so I can't get a report.

Carly

P.S.
    I'm not sure that this the appropriate forum to post this request. Since there is no thread in the Request BIOS mod sub forum for Toshiba BIOS, I posted here. If there is a more appropriate place, Moderator please move it there. Thank you.

2. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #2 itsmemario1, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Ahhhhh the Toshiba COM file BIOS. *yuk*

Can you try to extract your original BIOS using the "Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0" and post a downloadlink to it here ?

I stumbled across this "old" tutorial, but I could not find the bitmap in the COM (ROM) of your BIOS. (might be compressed/crypted)
    Thats why Id like to look at your extracted BIOS. Or maybe you want to look at it as well using HxD ? :)
    Maybe it looks different. Maybe.*crosses fingers*

http://os-fun.blogspot.de/2006/05/modifying-laptop-bios-for-fun-and.html

3. Carly203

Carly203 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    #3 Carly203, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot for your interest Mario. I read through part of the tutorial and realized that I didn't have a clue as to what I was reading. :waycon1: I'll keep reading and try to figure it out because I do want to learn, but in the interim I'll leave the modding to the experts. Here's the file you requested, I hope that you can get something out of it. *double crossed fingers* :( I'm not able to post links yet so I have try to obfuscate the link as best as I can. I keep getting the warning. I don't why it worked earlier and not now.

h**p://www dot mediafire dot com/download/jahpaedg12b8ydo/BIOS_Backup_File.7z

Btw, I did find out by using the tool that the bios is really Intel 2.0.

4. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    #4 itsmemario1, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    Thanks for the BIOS, looks good so far, I found the bitmap graphics at once. Also all text/menus are there in clear text.:)

The following is the boot animation and some icons + intel logos, all stored inside this extracted BIOS as BMP files :

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2uh1jkj.jpg

I also found a sound file in wave format (size is wrong but you can listen to it)
    I guess thats the sound beeing played on boot.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/b8cl9t

Next problem in line might be to get this "uncrypted/unpacked" version of this BIOS back to a flashable original format.

5. Carly203

Carly203 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    That's it! Looking good. :) *Fingers still crossed though.

6. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    Hey Carly203,
    sorry for the long waiting. Unfortunately I dont know about the enryption/compression routine of this BIOS. Hopefully someone else may help here.

7. Carly203

Carly203 MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2014
    You have my deepest gratitude for trying Mario. :)

Is there anyone here that might possess the expertise to modify this bios? I would appreciate any efforts.