[Request] Restore Acer TravelMate 4230 to factory (Windows XP SP3 FR)

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by coleoptere2007, Aug 24, 2014.

1. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #1 coleoptere2007, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    Hello,

I'm looking for a way to restore an Acer TravelMate 4230 from the PQservice partition.
    No CDs/DVDs had been made after the first installation from factory and the program Acer eRecovery Management isn't available.
    My first idea was to save the PQService partition with Macrium reflect to an external HDD, but I read it needed a password I don't know to restore it.

Thanks for the advices. Regards.

PS: Please Mods delete this claim as no answers has been posted. Thx.

2. FLYBOYTIM

FLYBOYTIM MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2013
    #2 FLYBOYTIM, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    If you have the PQService partition intact, and have rendered it visible to Windows by changing partition type from 27 to 07, unhiding it and giving it a drive letter, then the Acer eRecovery Management install files can be found and installed. The trick is to find where they are hidden in the recovery partition file system among the other Acer Bloatware. On an Acer Travelmate 2423 in the PQSERVICE\Autorun folder, the compressed executable, Autorun.exe contains much of the Acer eGroup function programs under drivers\winxp.

If you make a copy of the partition. then using a partition manager to change the partition type back to type 27, then you should be able to start the recovery using Alt+F10 at boot time, and the factory restore should proceed - you don't need eRecovery for that, since it assumes you have a totally broken system.

I cannot recall if you need to enter the product key on the sticker - which has probably worn off by now, but the OEM keys for XP are available - see forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/15438-XP-SLP-keys-removed-from-MDL-due-to-DMCA-request-(Collection-of-XP-OEM-SLP-keys)

ACER still maintain drivers etc for your system at

us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Just search for travelmate 4230

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Problem solved by using ATL+F10 keys at bios startup. You can close this request :cool: