[Request] Updated bios dump of DX79TO

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by JordiBercial, Jun 13, 2017.

1. JordiBercial

JordiBercial MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2017
    Hi guys

Recently i've bought an Intel Desktop Board DX79TO, which came with the 0281 BIOS. As i've found, it's only compatible with the i7-3930K and the i7-3960X, so when I put my Xeon E5-2650 it won't even boot or anything. I have the chip dump in .bin, 8192KB, and the best i could do was finding some strings with the name of the processor, but i'm unable to delimtate where the microcode starts or something, so i can't replace anything because, obviously, i'd break the file. The compressed file is still to large for the page, so i couldn't put it here.

The board is in a shop, they had the equipment to unsolder the chip and get the data so when i have a good .bin, it will be good. To have a reference, i have opened it with Hex Workshop, that's the tool that let me view the "Intel Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz" string and so, but a'm very doubtful that changing the string makes any difference, so t'hats why I come here, because i have seen there's such an experts.

Thanks in advance!!

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @JordiBercial

You need to update the bios to 0430 (at least), or even better - to the latest 0650. No need to fiddle with modding the bios, as its kinda impossible to flash it back due to signature checking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JordiBercial

JordiBercial MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2017
    #3 JordiBercial, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    (OP)
    Yes, i know that, but since there are one single 2011 socket based platform at around 10km round, and it's mine, it very dificult to get a 3930K or a 3960X to be able to update my BIOS. Even for loaning it, i didn't find anything. The only one i found for sale is a 3930K at 200€ and a 3960X at 700€, and i won't pay 200/700€ for a bios update, of course.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the bios won't be updated trough standard procedure, the chip is unsoldered and is being programmed through an SPI programmer (That's why the board is in a shop) so when the board is working with my cpu, then i'll update to 0650 by the standard way - As it should be.