Reset of router led to loss of internet

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by pooksahib, Nov 26, 2011.

1. pooksahib

pooksahib MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Hello. For reasons I won't bore you with, I pressed the factory reset button on my Siemens SE587 router/modem. Unfortunately, I no longer have internet access. Network & Sharing show me as being connected to the router but it also says “no internet access”.

I removed the wireless adapter and made an ethernet connection between router and PC but it's the same story – connected but No Internet Access.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting options to no avail. This should be a simple fix, you'd think. Can anyone suggest a course of action? I'd be truly grateful.

It's a good thing I kept my old USB modem...

2. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi and thanks for that. What exactly does the above entail - deleting the existing wireless connection or something more complex? I'm using Win7 Ultimate. Kind regards.

3. tomah

tomah MDL Senior Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Assuming that your modem requires login credentials, you may need to put them back in to the modem via the setup screen.

Your ISP should be able to help with this if you have no idea what I mean.

Good luck!

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i have an att ethernet modem and a separate wireless router, not all in one--i'm assuming your wireless router is your modem and router all in one,

from experience when i've had to reset my modem, whenever i opened my browser it asked for a username and password, which happened to be old login credentials (now outdated--but still asks). once they were entered the internet will work fine without ever having to enter this info again (unless it is reset again).

if you do not get a screen that asks you for your username and password when you open your browser, chances are you will have to use the disc that came with your modem/router and set it up again and enter your info that way.

if you do not have a username and password that was setup when you first got your modem/router then you will need to call your ISP and have them help you

sometimes in windows 7 it will say "no internet access" and the internet will be working fine (rare but it does happen)

also, you may have to re-enter your hex key for your router in your wireless network setup, as this will prevent you from getting online but will let you connect to the router if it is not correct or non-existent in the settings.

5. pooksahib

Aug 11, 2009
    Thankfully, I'm now back on wireless. I did indeed have to put my ISP username & pass back into the router. There should (I believe) be a way of doing this via the URL 192.168.1.1 but I couldn't fathom it out. So I had to use the original setup disc – good thing I still had it AND knew the pass.

Thanks for your interest in this.