Reset Permissions and Ownership of System32 Back to Default

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jedinight2002, Jun 21, 2012.

1. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    Is it possible to reset permissions and the ownership of system32 back to their default (including setting trusted install as the owner).

While trying to delete the majority of the windows folder on an old boot drive, I was watching the football and mistakenly reset the ownership and permissions on the system32 folder of the new boot drive. What a muppet!!!!!

Any assistance appreciated.

2. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    Thanks for those, however for them to be of any help, I need to know two things.

First, what the permissions should be on the system32 folder, and secondly if all the subfolders and files have the same permissions and same owner.

I think the best solutoin is gonna be reinstall windows. I cant beleive that having EVERYONE FULL permissiosn to system32 isnt a massive virus and malware security risk for the future!!!

3. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    system32 and all its sub-folders should have permission set to trustedinstaller. so you can safely reset the ownership to trustedinstaller. if you face any problem, you can then reinstall windows.

4. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    Yeah, but the permissions are the most crucial factor. what are they all set to.

5. Dave-UK

Dave-UK MDL Junior Member

Apr 24, 2011
    A system restore will do it, if you have a restore point.
    hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

6. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    I just came back to post thats what I had done, and now I see your post. Yes, it worked a treat thanks.

I used to switch off System Restore in XP - It was a perfect place for malware to hide, I have never used it successfully until now, how very helpful.

7. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    I have now realised that following the system restore, my machine is no longer activated. Note that I activated my machine, using a cert and serial (BIOS has SLIC 2.1) before the previous restore state, so those changes should not have been lost.

I have also re-applied the cert and serial (no errors), rebooted but its still not activated. How do i activate?

8. jedinight2002

jedinight2002 MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2008
    bump - any ideas anyone, windows not activated

9. danielOw

danielOw MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    Why don't you answer the question instead of dodging it

The question was what is suppose to be the default permissions to a windows system 32 folder its very simple question as all i know is that trusted installer should be the owner of all the files in system 32 but what about the other permissions creator owner? myself I can not even access the system 32 folder which is pretty scary. I will definatley not buy another copy of windows if this persists. They are so many security issues with windows 7. Makes you wonder why its called windows probably open access to all your files and folders in the name of windows

10. danielOw

danielOw MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2013
    Why can't i access any files in windows system 32 folder thats one recurring issue that really been bugging me. I mean the system can surely access all the files necessary, but cmon a user with full administrator access is not able to access the folder seems real fishy to me. I was really considering buying windows 8, but seeing all these problems Ill probably just buy a mac computer because these issues have been recurring on and on and on and on and on and on and on. At least on a mac computer I'll know that I have access to all the files and folders if I decide to modify these files and or folders