Resize Icons in Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by oddballracing, Oct 30, 2009.

1. oddballracing

oddballracing MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Does anyone know where i would find the option to resize my desktop icons, change spacing, and text size, etc. in Windows 7?

This option was very easy to navigate to in windows 2000/XP (Display Settings -> Appearance [Tab] -> Advanced).

I would like to think that this is still possible, as i am still desperately trying to find a reson to even partially agree with people that are claiming this is "The Best OS Ever".

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

OddBallRacing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jimmyRabid

jimmyRabid MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
  3. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Thank you for the quick reply,

That could be a useful shortcut, but after reading your post i looked around a little more and saw the "view" submenu item, and some options in there (including icon resize), yet there is no way to truly customize the icon size, these are preset values. I saw the text size options as well, though i'm noticing that things are very scattered throughout the control panel and right-click menus. I still cannot find a way to change the icon spacing, as my desktop icons are quite far apart, and i have a habit of cramming files, directories, and shortcuts on the desktop (i do not want to hear any opinions about how this may be inefficient, it's how i operate and was always an option in windows xp/2000). If i could put icons closer together this would allow for more real estate. I have hit the help & support center and found nothing. Also, I have found no way to (natively) invoke the classic start menu, which i know was available in windows vista and xp, and the only option in windows 2000/NT4.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jimmyRabid

jimmyRabid MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    yea I just found the wheel method gave you alot more options than that view menu. I forgot to say hold left clik down and ctrl then scroll with the mouse wheel.Good luck on finding the perfect layout work flow.ez

5. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks for the help. :)

6. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    Hi Bud. This should be of help for ya.
    Right click on the desktop and select personalise from the drop down menu. click on window colour at the bottom of the window that opens up. Then click on Advanced Appearance settings. then from the drop down item menu you'll see Icon spacing (Horizontal and vertical). Job done! as they say.

7. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Thank you so much. This is essentially the exact same window that was available in xp/2000, unfortunately the Title from the personalization menu says nothing about advanced features. It was exactly what i was looking for, again thank you. Windows 7 may not be a lost cause, but it is still looks like it will be a steep learning curve for my clients, as configuration has TOTALLY been reorganized (since XP, which is what they are currently set up on). I am starting to get the hang of this "new" os, and hopefully i can find some redeeming qualities within it.

OddBallRacing

8. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Another thing, am i only one finding it strange that i cannot access my own user's start menu directory?

Attached Files:

9. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #9 gentoo, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    Wrong location for that folder. It would be C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

10. oddballracing

Dec 6, 2008
    Actually , igot a little trigger happy when i first tried to get into that directory. I am looking at the profile and i see that Application Data, Local Settings, My Documents, Nethood, PrintHood,Send To, and Start Menu appear to be shortcuts. Is this just here to allow legacy programs to utilize the new folder and settings structure for windows 7/Vista? Because if that is all that is happening here, then i am not too worried.