Resize(shrink) Primary Partition

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by aCres, Mar 1, 2009.

1. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    #1 aCres, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #2 HMonk, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    I'll try

Thanks and congratulation sir, you are our SUPER MODERATOR now.

Yap, with this kind of usage if there is available crack(Acronis Director Suite) I will grab it, I hope so.

Regarding ms support, this time I have no time to read and apply what's inside(frankly speaking am lazy to study).

I will let you know what is the outcome of Acronis Director Suite.
    Start searching...................

aCres

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Thanks

Just notified yesterday re Super Mod. Now I really have to behave myself. :(

I agree about the MS support/DiskPart. If lazy is the issue, then I must plead guilty - I just do not want to wade through syntax that makes reg editing look like a stroll on the beach.

If you get it working, I think you will like D. Suite.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. aCres

aCres MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2008
    well done my son

Whew! Just finish today from searching of D. Suite (there's a lot floating in the web but I don't trust some of those) and I install and do what I want. D. Suite is awesome it works beautifully, maybe a matter of 15min. then finish. From 60GB to 30BG my primary drive C and 60GB to 90GB my logical D.

Once again thank you boss Monk.

Best Regards,

aCres

P.S. Plan to change my OS from XP into Vista or Windows 7, I don't know if my plan is effective.

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    You are welcome

Anytime aCres.

The word on the street is that MS is planning to release its "release candidate" for Win7 late this month or April; this is months sooner than anticipated and speculation is that the final release will come well ahead of 1QT 2010 as originally thought. You might consider foregoing Vista and toying with Win7.

Monk

7. shiny521

shiny521 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    hi..aCres, you had to resize your 60GB primary drive, I think a professional partition assistant software released in the market now is necessary and useful. You and any computer users who meet with such kind of problem could have a try.

8. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  10. antman67

antman67 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2010
    I often wondered if there was a way to shring the partition? This is good to know and good instructions - Thank You

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I never faced any problem in resizing C using Easeus Partition Pro. Even in windows.
    However Partition wizard has a home edition which is free and you can download and burn the free bootable CD from their site. Small download (~39 MB) and excellent.
    Can I suggest one thing: time taken to complete partition resizing and changing is in direct proportion to the data filled up on the partitions. If you have backed up your data, then of course the quickest way is to format the partitions to be modded and then resize. Very quick. Windows also does a decent job within windows but very limited in its functionality (I think the unallocated freed space always goes in 1 direction).

Try Partition wizard.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ acyuta, Partition Wizard home edition Free great little program i use it all the time now i did use acronis disk director but got fed up waiting for new version to appear that was fully compatible with windows 7. You can also make bootable USB thumbdrive version or download it.

13. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #13 acyuta, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
    I downloaded and am using the boot CD version. No need for USB as my PC boots from CD by default. Previously, I used Easeus Pro which is great but required an install. Later on (after using Partition), I learnt that Easeus Pro version (which I used) allows to make a boot CD but now do not care about that (why install it again to make a boot CD when Partition Wizard does it so flawlessly). Partition Wizard Home Boot CD does not even require an install to use it. Just download the 39 MB CD iso and burn it to CD/DVD. Very easy to use for even a first time user of that software.

As to Paragon, I used it once but found it too complicated for a basic partitioning and resizing function (generic problem with all suites). Gparted is also supposed to be good but the machine language at the start turned me off for what is just a simple case of resizing/modding/or deleting partitions without losing data.

One small query: If I recover from system image made by Acronis/Ghost/Shadow Protect, should I first format the C: drive by say Partition Wizard, and then boot from one of the above 3 softwares recovery CDs to recover, or formating before recovery is really not necessary. I think it is not necessary.

14. abcmei

abcmei MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    Extend Partition

:worthy:Hello,the Partition Assistant maybe useful. It is excellent and easy to use. Here, I will share it with you, I hope it will give you a hand.

15. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    In my experience, the 2 boot CD tools that I use-Easeus Partition Pro 5 (paid) and Partition Wizard Home (free) are equally good, easy to use, and perhaps have the same features. Depends on personal preferences. Both take roughly about the same time.
    If you regularly back up your files, then it becomes infinitely more quicker to first format the partitions to be operated upon, then resize or merge or whatever. As I see it, one can always copy back the data when in windows 7 later. Otherwise, moving the data and resizing can take some time, and one cannot use the PC at all during that time.

16. unknownzd

unknownzd MDL Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Actually all these things can be easily done by using DISKPART ...... you just need to boot into MS-DOS and then use appropriate commands in it .........

As I know for FAT32 ........ you just need to write down the partition starting cylinder, delete a partition and then re-add it again as selecting the same starting cylinder position and then resize it by choosing a different ending cylinder ......

For NTFS ...... there is already an embedded command inside DISKPART which allows you to shrink a partition
    Take a look on here if you want (Remove the space in order to let it works as I don't have required permission atm) :
    www .bleepingcomputer .com /tutorials/tutorial133.html

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would Never recommend DISKPART to a novice it can do to much damage.

18. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I am facing a peculiar problem with Partition Wizard Free Home Boot CD from their site. Not that it matters since I have alternatives but still it is a good option.
    The problem:
    1. Boot from Partition wizard boot CD
    2. It asks for 4 choices (screen resolution). I select 1 (which is default) 1024*768
    3. Program loads and everything. I do one operation and apply. It does do something for an instant and then goes blank to a blue screen and then off to a black screen. Basically ends without doing anything.
    4. Rebooting with CD again shows that the operation above was not performed.
    5. Do 3 again, and I may be successful this time or not.
    This is not a problem with Easues Pro CD.
    Has my boot CD been corrupted (in which case a reburning is not an issue) or is it a display driver issue.

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well it can't be a windows display driver, when booting from cd i would just try a different resoulution.

20. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Or just get yourself Hirem's CD

sebus