Resolution Please Help Me!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by FABIGUI, Jul 27, 2007.

1. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Can somebody help me to change the resolution of the monitor in windows vista.
    The resolution given for default no adjust my monitor I use PowerStrip software and the resolution works fine but it is not possible to play; my question if it possible to change it other way with out using an aditional software.Thanks:)

2. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    What system do you use, what system is the game designed for? What resolution do you use at the moment? 1024*768 should work pretty well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I use Windows Vista Ultimate and my monitor is LCD 1440x900 80Hz,I am not an expert gamer but when I load cpu test in 3D Mark is a problem with IDirect3d9 it olso dosen't let run Serius Sam al runs OK just in the moment I install PowerStrip dosn't work any more; the only way to fix it is to reinstall windows and chose other resolution befor I was able to run the game but I change the graphic card.So is there a way to program by command promt the resolution without using PowerStrip? I would apreciate your help.

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    #4 ancestor(v), Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
    Forget about PowerStrip. It seems to me that some serious changes are made. Just use the graphic/video options provided by windows. Neither me nor my friends have used a program such as this, and we've never been in the need of it. As plus, I don't use 3DMark, because I don't need it. Everything runs perfectly, so what the heck...

Just plain windows and everything should be allright ;)

Serius Sam is kinda an old game, so maybe it doesn't work on Vista at all. Just some lower resolution (1024*768 as said before) and try again.

Or maybe it's just your video card or whatever, but that's for us to find out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    I said is not possible to set the desktop resolution up to 1440 x 900 with windows so I have to do something thats why I use PowerStrip. I agree with you
    even there are only the drivers of the graphic card instal and not the catalys center.But how to set the resolution ? No default option for this if I chose other I can't be able to read easily and the circles are eggs.My question is very simple how,where ? Thanks: (

6. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I don't your system or PowerStrip so I can't really tell you what the problem is. Some drivers/settings seem to be f**ked up, reinstalling them should do the job. At the moment I have no other idea.

7. skel28

skel28 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2007
    we need more information to be able to help you.
    What is your video card? (you mention catalyst so I assume you have and ATI card), what driver version do you have installed? (latest catalyst is 7.7), what is your monitor? (make/model) is there an inf file provided by the manufacturer?

Then maybe we can suggest something to help you.

8. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    This is the monitor information:

; AL1916W.INF
    ;
    ; This is Setup information file for monitors
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 2006, WayTech

[Version]
    signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Monitor
    ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%Acer%
    CatalogFile=AL1916W.cat
    DriverVer=12/10/2006,1.00

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect.nt = Monitor\ACRAD52

;[ClassInstall32]
    ;AddReg=ClassAddReg32

;[ClassAddReg32]
    ;HKR,,,,%MonitorClassName%
    ;HKR,,Icon,,"-1"
    ;HKR,,NoInstallClass,,1

[DestinationDirs]
    DefaultDestDir = 11
    ;
    AL1916W.CopyFiles = 23

[SourceDisksNames]
    1=%Disk1%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
    AL1916W.icm=1

[Manufacturer]
    %Acer%=Acer

[Acer]
    %AL1916W%=AL1916W.Install, Monitor\ACRAD52

[AL1916W.Install]
    DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
    AddReg=AL1916W.AddReg, 1440, DPMS
    CopyFiles=AL1916W.CopyFiles

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
    HKR,MODES
    HKR,,MaxResolution
    HKR,,DPMS
    HKR,,ICMProfile

[1440]
    HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1440,900"

[DPMS]
    HKR,,DPMS,,1

[AL1916W.AddReg]
    HKR,"MODES\1440,900",Mode1,,"30.0-82.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"
    HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"AL1916W.icm"

[AL1916W.CopyFiles]
    AL1916W.icm

[Strings]
    ;MonitorClassName="Monitor"
    Acer="Acer"
    Disk1="Acer LCD Utility Disk"
    AL1916W="Acer AL1916W"

How can I add this information o the register?
    My video card is a X9500GT and only the driver are install 7.7 (without catalys center)
    I need to setup the resolution without this software but I don't more choice intil I found how to fixed.Thanks:D

9. skel28

skel28 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2007
    first try installing catalyst, the new 7.7 has some useful functions.
    eg I have an x1950 super pro, connected using component to a 42 inch toshiba hd-tv, i couldn't get the display to fill the screen until 7.7 when it gave me an option for overscan, now it's perfect.
    Like I said try with catalyst and see what it can do.
    Also do you have the inf file installed, ie does your windows say it is a AL1916W for the monitor or does it say Generic PNP ?

10. FABIGUI

FABIGUI MDL Member

Jun 2, 2007
    No I don't Know how to instal it; it says Generic Non-PnP Monitor and I just instal before the CCC and it doesn't gave me the option to scan.Your television is posible to comunicate with the PC (digital) that's why I think gave this option but my is analog (VGA) so I have to give this information, but I don't Know how.

11. skel28

skel28 MDL Novice

Jun 3, 2007
    Well component is analog so...
    anyway, go to control panel, monitor, double click whatever device you have showing there (Generic PnP or whatever), click driver tab, update driver, then browse to where ever your monitor inf file is. Allow that to be installed.

What is your problem with installing catalyst?