Resolution settings

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by mwhoody, Nov 8, 2009.

1. mwhoody

mwhoody MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    I have an LG L204WT LCD wide screen monitor
    When I loaded in Windows 7 Ultimate it recomends a setting of 1680x1050. For my eyesight this setting is much to high.
    When I try to set the resolution to my old Windows XP setting of 1280x800 it shrinks the screen size down to a smaller size with black borders all around.
    Is there anyway that I could get a full screen with the 1280x800 settings? I know with the older type of monitors you had to adjust the screen size manually on your monitor. I never ever had to do this on an LCD monitor.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    If it is possibly to adjust your display using your monitor controls then I would give that a try. However I too have an issue with eyesight. My screen resolution is set at 1680 x 1050 but I increase the DPI settings. Go control panel/appearance and somewhere there you should find adjust DPI tab. Hope this works for you. :D:D:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mwhoody

mwhoody MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Yes the DPI settings work to a certain extent. But no where near what the resolution settings do.
    Even in certain programs I'm barely able to read what's in the windows.
    I'm seriously thinking on going back to Windows XP (gulp)
    Thank you

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Hang on in there a while, I'm sure there is a solution. :)
    What brand of gpu do you have ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mwhoody

mwhoody MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    I got a litle excited this morning when I found that my monitor was installed as a generic monitor. So I installed the drivers for my LG L204WT (Digital) monitor.
    I then proceeded to the resolution settings and my monitor was listed there. More excitment haha.
    Reset the resolution - no change - black borders top and bottom and on sides.
    Down again.
    I did forget to mention that my video card is a Radeon 300x
    Thanks guys

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Try right click on the desktop, then screen resolution. Make sure that under "Orientation", landscape is selected. I would suggest downloading updated drivers but icould not find any for your monitor.

However it might be worth trying this.
    In start menu search type device manager, goto monitors. Open this section then right click your display's name. Now click update driver software. As i say , i coul not find any drivers but its still worth a try.
    For what its worth your problem sounds like a scaling issue. Does your gpu have a control panel like Nvidia does ? :D

7. mwhoody

mwhoody MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2009
    Yeah I went that "screen resolution > Orientation and all those steps with no success. I even tried the setting that I would like and then refresh the monitor to see if it will set itself - no way
    Yes I tried to update my monitor drivers but windows 7 says I have the latest drivers.
    I've also been doing a lot of Googling and find that I'm not the only one with this type of problem. So maybe it's just a waiting game till they come up with some kind of fix
    Thank you very much for you help and your time

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Your welcome. Im still trying to come up with a solution and will post back asap. :):D

9. dewot

dewot MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Well, if it worked in XP, it is going to be just a matter of finding the right settings I think.

Your monitor supports vertical refresh rates from 56 HZ to 75 HZ. I think Win 7 has set the vertical refresh rate as high as it can. Your graphics card is a few years old: It will work at 75 HZ, but does not have the oomph at that setting to display a full screen image on a 20 inch monitor. Just a guess, but if you had a 16 inch monitor it could probably display a full screen image at 75 HZ.

Try this: Control Panel> Appearance and Personalization. Under "Display", select "Adjust Screen Resolution". Select advanced settings on the lower right side of that window, and a new window will pop up.

Under "adapter", you will see a box that says "List all modes". Click on the box, and a listing of all the monitor settings supported on your computer will pop up.

Select the resolution you want ( say 1280 x 800), BUT select one with a lower refresh rate than 75HZ (say 60HZ). Also select the maximum color depth available at that setting (32 bit is best - you may only have 24 bit available on that card). The window will close, and you can then click on apply.

Windows should apply the new settings. There will probably be a lot of flashes and the screen may go black for a bit before it returns and asks if you want to keep these settings.

You may have to try a few different settings to get what you want.

After you get what you want, reboot.

Anyway, that should get you where you want to go with a little trial and error.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    ^^^
    Worth a try I guess. I still think it is a driver issue, lack of scaling. Do you have the xp driver for your monitor ? If so re-install it in xp compatibillity mode.
    Another suggestion, why not try 1024x768 with increased dpi. I tried this on my 22" screen and its ok. :D

11. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Have you managed to solve your resolution problem ? Just curious. :)

12. backwoods

backwoods MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    screen resolution

Had the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 130 a couple of days ago. It would only fill the screen with 800x600 if I did a fresh xp install and did NOT install the video drivers. Dell calls the drivers optional.

13. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    This is quite common, especially for laptops, if you use the windows generic driver. If you install the driver from ATI, presto, the issue should be gone. :)

14. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009