[Resolved] Can no longer access MDL (Firefox)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by drew84, Mar 24, 2019.

1. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    Starting yesterday, I find myself no longer able to access MDL using Firefox
    MDL (whitelisted) Now requires me to complete a Captcha (for temporary access only)
    The Captcha however, will not complete (Literally, WILL NOT complete)
    Cleared Cookies, ran anti-virus etc... nothing

Any suggestions?

2. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    Try Edge or IE or another browser.

3. Master01

Master01 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    I use only Firefox and log in\log out MDL without a problem.
    So check you installed addon, some of them may block access. Clean cookie and cache.
    If non of this work try reset to "fresh" Firefox, create a new profile.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Same here I only use Firefox period and no problem accessing MDL.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Use ff no problems

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Run FF in safemode to disable addons and try again

7. Blueingreen

Blueingreen MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Faced exactly the same issue yesterday, using both portable Chrome and IE. Unlike @drew84 I managed to complete the captcha, though. A message on the opening page was a bit scary: "Why is this happening? You might be infected..." So run a couple of security scans anyways.
    Today everything is back to normal: direct access.

8. petok

petok MDL Senior Member

May 4, 2009
    I use Firefox and no problem with login

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    All of these details you have provided indicate that your IP address is not permanent, it is not stable.
    Do you use any VPN or other floating IP address?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Sometimes, accessing MDL in Fire Fox, it behaves weirdly (Cloudflare alert) when using a VPN . But it becomes normal when one is using the real IP. (my experience)

11. Anemisme

Anemisme MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2018
    Depends what your settings are.
    If I harden too much, I also get it, and it's impossible to do the captcha because of addons mostly (or about:config tweaks).

12. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    #12 drew84, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    (OP)
    IP settings were unaltered

Whilst I use a VPN there are a number of Whitelisted sites incorporated (Including MDL)
    Have not encountered the issue previously, and all was working fine yesterday, until it wasn't
    The only change made was to the browser itself, and only after the issue surfaced (privacy Pass add on, suggested by the captcha page)

I have just used the firefox 'refresh' feature (add ons removed and firefox reset to default) and all appears fine
    This would lead me to believe that the issue may have been as a result of an update to one of the add ons, can't be sure until reinstall
    Edit: All add Ons put back and all still OK

The issue, although resolved, the question as to what happened itself remains a bit of a mystery

Thanks to all for input

13. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    It's an addon (webextension) issue + with mozzila blocking cookies,trackers etc.If i use the default UseAgent i get captchas,if i change it to firefox on linux everything is fine(same ip ,no vpn used).

14. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    Found the culprit (Firefox about:config tweak)
    privacy.resistFingerprinting
    I have always set this to true, but starting sometime on Saturday this tweak (in my case) now causes the captcha issue with MDL
    True - Can't access MDL
    False - Can access MDL

May not be the complete answer though, as it could be a compatibility issue with uBlock Origin/uMatrix
    which handle the restricting of fingerprinting

15. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
  16. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Nothing to do with the ip in most cases,its the tweaks applied to the browser( be it firerfox or chrome).By "tweaks" i mean spoofing various parameters blocking or turning them off.

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    no issues here using FF

18. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The setting is for making your browser more non-unique/general (blending/masking). Unfortunately, it causes websites doing sniffing to not recognize the browser anymore. Services like Cloudflare or Google fingerprint your browser to verify you're not a bot, this fingerprint is used to prevent further Captchas. If you resist fingerprinting, the side-effect is what you're experiencing.