[RESOLVED] Unlocking mSD card?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by gorski, Sep 4, 2020.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Hi, guys!

I tried and tried using various pieces of SW I have, I have searched high and low to get the relevant info - but ultimately couldn't unlock it....

Anyone knows for sure how to unlock a 128GB mSD SanDisk Ultra XC1 card, please? Android seems to have done it somehow...

It's locked tighter than a chinchilla's sphincter:D - Droid, Winblows and Linux tools just couldn't format it - ARRESTED!!!:confused:

Any experts here, please?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    SD card mite bad or is bricked why bother does things are super cheap now.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @gorski
    This is all true what has been written above, but you could at least tell if your card has a mechanical lock and you can't unlock it, or if the data stored on the card is read-only or locked in some way.
    Usually people have a problem opening a mechanical lock.
    Do you have the same problem? Or You have something else, can't any way understand.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I wouldn't ask f it were the obvious thing - the first thing anyone finds on the net is "put it in an adaptor and slide the slider up"....

It's impossible to copy the data en masse and impossible to format....

In the end I talked to SanDisk support and they will replace it.

Their mSD cards have 10 years warranty.

You don't even pay to send it back.

So, it's all good - thanx!

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @gorski
    Nice if the matter is resolved, but then please add the topic to the title [Resolved] or [Solved].
    Then people will know that the problem is solved and topic can be closed.

6. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Just as an independant reference here.....

Yeah, I pretty much had the exact same thing about a year or two ago. And also in that case Sandisk replaced the item for free. Great service really.
    I totally get your question though, as I also initially though it got "softbricked" in some way, but rest assured it was probably scr@%#wed beyond recovery.