Restart Causes Intermittent Problems in Win 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by acyuta, Dec 26, 2013.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #1 acyuta, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    I do not know if some other people have reported or noticed it but I have been noticing a strange problem in win 8.1. This is not a problem in win 8 and since I have 2 system images of win 8 and 8.1, I can confirm that this problem is only in 8.1

When win 8.1 wants to restart (installing programs or whatever reason), sometimes the system just boots down and does not come back on (ie I do not see the BIOS). In that situation, I have to press the reset button on the cabinet and that solves the problem. I get the BIOS and the system loads up. I am sure that this should not cause any problems in hard disks since the system had remained powered off.

This is not a problem all the time but at least around 25-40% of the time when I restart. This is not a problem in 8, at least on my system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    This exact issue used to happen to me on 8 not 8.1 actually

I got rid of both of those crappy OSes now and back to a real OS - Windows 7

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I have the exact same issue, but on 8 as well. I have no idea why this happens; I haven't seen it happen on any other 8.1 rig I set up. Weird. Also, the reset button doesn't work for me. I have to turn off power and wait a few minutes. Nothing else seems to pull it out of the stupor.

4. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #4 acyuta, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    (OP)
    I can confirm for me that it is not a problem on 8. Restart works as it should, which is sequentially power goes off, display is off, then display powers on, UEFI ASUS loads, and then windows 8.

In 8.1, the display does not power on and there is no BIOS. The reset button solves the problem. So I do not have to really turn off completely.

Anyway good to know that I am not the only one. I thought it was a hardware problem but no problems in 8 has confirmed that it is an OS problem. It is confused about sleeping or waking up.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    must be outdated drivers