Restore Acronis Backup made on SSD onto HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by saadland, May 21, 2022.

1. saadland

saadland MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2015
    #1 saadland, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    Hello, I am looking a way to restore a Win 10 backup made on an SSD to an HDD??
    I know that on SSD boot partition is GPT mostly, but for it to boot on HDD, it must be MBR. I already tried to restore it on HDD, but no boot. So if possible to change to MBR, during the resore process for the system to can boot after that.
    I know it will lack stability and so on, but it is mostly for a comparaison purpose.
    Thx

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why would a hdd not work with the gpt partitioning table?

Did you set the bios to boot properly with the hdd?

When you've made a proper full systemdrive backup, restoring it to a hdd should work fine, afaik.

3. saadland

saadland MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2015
    Maybe I am mixing stuffs about GPT and MBR, but I mean I learned back then GPT was better for SSD and MBR for old HDD.
    Anyway about, the booting selection in the BIos, yes kind of. I mean straight when PC boot I am choosing to boot from the HDD (where I just pasted the Backup), and I get kind of Windows black screen saying, no bootable OS available o the disc.
    No just to say, about boot selection is covered by myself through manually selecting Boot device.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    = UEFI default = only needed for when the systemdrive >2TB and you want to boot it or when you want more then 4 primary partitions on one drive.
    Currently most modern devices only have UEFI available.

Afaik, most modern backup/recovery software can apply the recovery backup to both platforms.

5. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    My SSD and HDD are both use UEFI with MBR partition locked encrypted. So, does not matter if your SDD is under 1.89TB or under can use MBR.. IF over 2TB is need GPT..

ATGPUD2003

6. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    it doesn't matter, if you have a uefi board, and run the hard drive in mbr mode, it can't use the uefi functions, and especially the operating system can't take advantage of it.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That doesn't change anything about the initial assumption at the OP.

There are no other real advantages than i mentioned.

8. KleineZiege

KleineZiege MDL Expert

Dec 11, 2018
    Huu du bist noch wach :)