Restore w10 system image

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alextheg, Feb 28, 2017.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I'm curious to see if there's anyone that has successfully restored a system image taken from a w10 install on 2 SSD's in RAID 0, onto a single SDD in AHCI mode ?

If so how did you go about it? I've tried through Image recovery using install media but keep getting critical disk errors.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have done it with Macrium Reflect in the past from raid 0 to an single ssd I can't exactly recal the procedure but if I remember correctly Macrium Reflect does see the raid 0 as one disk so no difference there ! the only problem I had to boot correct from the single ssd but fixed that with bootrec.exe in command ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    You can restore anything to anything. There might be a need for storage drivers adjustment, but that is all

I been doing it on every Windows flavor since XP

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've had no issues restoring an image to the same series notebook whether it's in raid or not.
    ie, MSI WS60-6QJ has 2xM.2 SSD in Raid 0 (stripe) & the WS60-6QI has a single M.2 SSD in AHCI mode - same image works on both.
    They both use the same IRST driver...

Update:
    Sorry, my image is sysprepped so it will work on pretty much anything. DOH!

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I'm about to go from single 240GB SSD to 2 x 240GB SSD in RAID0, is it going to be as simple as creating an image on a storage drive, setting my SSDs up in RAID0, booting from the PE media and selecting the option to restore the image to RAID0 drives?

Also using Macrium

6. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

yep it's that easy maybe it won't boot in the first instance let us know you ca also use reflect to fix that :tea:

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Cheers, got my USB drives created with Win 10 media just in case anyway, as setting drives into RAID wipes them

Also got RAID drivers on USB too in case, think I've thought of everything, but probably not lol

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

I don't see troubles on the way did it many times ;)

9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Failed at the first step, machine will not even enter RAID Setup Utility

Used to run RAID0 HDDs on here so I know it works, but it just tries to boot from the main SSD every time, refuses to enter RAID setup

Changed SATA mode from AHCI to RAID
    Got SSDs connected to correct SATA ports

Just POSTs then boots, well, tries to boot but can't because it is set to RAID

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Won't enter the raid configuration :confused: can't you see it in the bios screen when you boot CTRL I is the most common keys to use if you want to setup your raid

11. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Three times; all successful. I was playing with a Linux Mint beta release on my "junk" computer for two; on an ASUS Eee PC netbook for the other.

All images were made with the built-in Windows 10 System Image function. I had made the repair disk as prompted, but It never worked in several attempts. When I used the repair and troubleshoot function included on the installation disk all restores went flawlessly.

12. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    AHCI to RAID-0 wouldn't be difficult. Wipe / format required drives, setup hardware RAID in bios then restore system image.

The other way around , seems not so straightforward. As soon as I exclude either SSD from the list of disks to be formatted / partitioned I receive error code stating that a disk that was critical at backup is missing.

Beginning to think that clean install would be better / easier but then I don't like being beaten as I'm sure this can be achieved.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Well that didn't go well, finally got into the RAID setup by resetting the BIOS, got them set to RAID0, booted PE > Restored > Booted to Windows > Inaccessible Boot Device

Tried the PE boot fix option, didn't do anything helpful, mucked about in the BIOS for an hour or so, just refused to ever boot back from the restored image, so Im typing this from a clean install

14. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Oh dear! On the bright side, a clean install is always nice to have.

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    True, just a PITA setting everything back up the way it was before, wasn't a very old install either

Pretty sure the problems had something to do with Legacy RAID driver vs UEFI RAID driver in the BIOS, I couldn't enter the RAID utility when it was set to UEFI, and obviously my install was a GPT UEFI, but even changing it after the restore didn't work

Took too long to go back through it all today, maybe if I'm bored one day

16. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    To be honest I'm happy with my RAID configuration but as I now want to triple boot w10, Ubuntu and OSx I need AHCI. Shame really.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Separate drive connected to non RAID SATA ports? Actually on my board it only gives IDE as an option doing that

I was happy enough with my single SSD speed, RAID speed will be nice but it was the extra C: space I needed, was running out with a single 240GB pretty quickly

18. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Now you mention it, I'm sure non RAID disks are set to AHCI on Intel raid roms. May not need to do this after all

19. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Why not just dism with .wim backup, there is nothing that beats that!

20. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Sure but I have more partitions to backup so Macrium for me it is ;)