Restore Win 7 on Samsung Laptop? - COA lost and no restore disk

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sr780, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sr780

sr780 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2013
    Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I saw similar threads but not one directly relevant.

I have a Samsung R780 which came preloaded with Win 7 Pro 64. It had a sudden and total hard disk failure - couldn't find any way to read it.

The COA on the sticker had worn away and although I thought I'd made a record, it turned out I'd read the OEM (SLP?) one and written that down. I had made a recovery disk as per Samsung instructions but when I tried it , it wouldn't read.

I contacted Samsung who were unhelpful, saying all I could do was take it to one of their service agents - they said they would 're-image' it but were going to charge more than a retail copy of Win 7!

I've put a new hard drive in and installed a trial copy of Win 7. Everything works OK but I seem to have no way of activating it.

Is there a way to activate using the OEM info. (stored on the BIOS?) I'm only looking to get back to what I thought I'd paid for.

Thanks.

2. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    WinDev, has given the BEST possible solution.... i'd be doing the same!

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    windows loader will see it has slic 2.1 and activate it via cert and key (no bootloader actually installs automatic)