Restoring a Windows 10 image from backup on a new laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sgeneris, Aug 1, 2021.

1. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    I have been running an older version of Windows 10 that has been over the years customized and optimized to exactly my needs. I am not interested any newer version of Windows and no part in the mess MS is causing. I want to continue to use the old version for as long as I can and I will accept all risks.

I may have to buy a new laptop, however, and I want to restore a system image from backup of the older laptop to the new one. Macrium has a Redeploy facility to do that and I will install the new drivers after that.

The main issue is Windows activation. I have 2 Windows licenses. SLMGR command says one is OEM one is RETAIL. I am asking those more knowledgeable for advice of how I can restore the image from backup and run the old version of Windows without license problems.

Can I transfer the OEM or retail license to a new computer if the old one croaks? Must I buy a retail license of Win10 and can I run the older version of Windows with it? Are such licenses even available and how much they cost?

Thanks

2. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    Thanks but I'm afraid you need to clarify: what do you mean "backup activation"?

3. i dont think theres anything else which needs to be clarified by him as his comment is clear cut to know what he said.
    crystal clear comment.

4. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    Has it occurred to you that if something is crystal clear to you, it may not be to us mere mortals?

5. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    BTW, the system does not let me download the file. It prompts me to download some repair tool that I can't either.

6. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    I finally managed to download the file and I still need clarification.

7. MarvelX7

MarvelX7 MDL Member

Jun 1, 2021
    you asked
    Yes the tool above to just that!
    Save a copy of ur activation to restore in another time.
    backup activation

8. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    Thanks, that was the clarification I needed.

Can the OEM license reactivated too? Pls bear in mind that the intention is to buy a Framework DIY laptop without a Win license and my understanding is that in that case I can reactivate the retail license, but not the OEM because the new laptop came without a license.
    Am I wrong?

9. MarvelX7

MarvelX7 MDL Member

Jun 1, 2021
    officially you can not , but i have not had this problem using this tool.
    although i cant tell u 100% it will work for you.

10. sgeneris

sgeneris MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2021
    Got you! Thanx.