Restoring an Acronis image to a new computer?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by jetjock, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Is it possible to restore an Acronis backup image of a Gateway computer to a Dell machine? The image was made using Acronis True Image Home 2011. The Gateway most likely had an OEM version of Win XP Pro and the Dell has a clean install of Win XP Pro Corporate Edition. Brother-in-law is not computer literate at all, so if it's necessary to mess with SLIC he's out of luck. He's already tried to install XP on the Dell using the Windows install disk that came with the Gateway, but it wouldn't work.

Any suggestions?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes you can restore to the dell but it won't activate because it will have gateway oembios files instead of dell. read the stickies all the information is there on how to make oem slp cd. or you could download dell oembios files and use VLK and OEMBIOS changer....

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #3 jetjock, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
    (OP)
    Thanks urie. Could you please point me to the particular sticky I need? I counted about 25 in the BIOS Mods forum! Please keep in mind what I said about my brother-in-law not being computer savvy at all. Fix will have to be very simple for him to accomplish since I can't do it for him via Team Viewer.

Never mind! I was in the wrong forum. I found it in this one. Thanks again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks. I was afraid of that! :wallbash:

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ jetjock, the stickies are in this Windows XP / Previous MS Operating Systems thread forget bios mods his computer already has slp 1.0 for dell all you need to do is download dell oembios files and use VLK and OEMBIOS changer.... or make dell oem slp cd all the information is in the stickies.

6. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Thank you! I'll see if I can figure it out. I'm not exactly a computer guru myself! :biggrin:

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Then either get ready to spend quite some time or pay somebody to do it for you

sebus

8. DonDamm

DonDamm MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    You will also have driver issues, though that can be fixed. You might try Acronis Universal Restore, which is used to load to a different platform,then follow the directions for substituting the oembios as mentioned. It's a bit of work, nevertheless. A clean install might save you time in the end. Just saying.

9. Canadian-Wolverine

Canadian-Wolverine MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2011
    depending on your acronis version heres the way to do it that WILL NOT fail

if your going from one rig to another that has different hardware it WILL fail because of ms HAL (hardware abstract layer) your guarenteed to blue screen on boot
    this is hard coded into the install when windows is installed, no way round it.
    Acronis uses a bit of software that strips hal so after the image is restored hal is rebuilt coz the install finds lots of new hardware you cannot change drivers for (cpu, mainboard stuff etc), just as if this was a clean install

To accomplish this you will need acronis true image home 2011 AND the plus pack. the plus pack allows for a restore on different hardware..

Hope this helps ya buddy

10. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    #10 jetjock, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    (OP)
    Yes, it certainly does. Brother-in-law does indeed have ATIH 2011 but I'd willing to bet you anything that he never installed the plus pack! :negative: If the image was made without plus pack, would it still work if he installs it (plus pack) on the new machine before restoring the image?. Thanks again!

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You would need to install and make acronis boot cd and use that to retore image you also need to have the drivers available to point acronis to them if needed. At the end of the day you would be better doing fresh install.

12. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    +1 How true that is; solves a multitude of problems and potential problems in one fell swoop.

13. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    That had to be one of the dumbest questions I've ever asked! :bash: My only excuse is it was late. After going to bed it suddenly dawned on me that installing the plus pack on the new machine wouldn't do much good if it was going to over-written by the backup image. He is installing Win XP Pro Corp. as I write this. We will then install ACTIH 2011 and the Plus Pack, make and set up the Acronis Loader to restore on boot. Wish us luck! I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't work, a fresh install doesn't take long. Many thanks to all for the help. :worthy:

14. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Well, I said I'd let everyone know how things worked out and the short answer is they didn't. The problem was not what one would think, but was an inability to get Acronis TIH 2011 to run on the new machine. Uninstalled it using their removal tool twice and reinstalled, but it wouldn't run and Acronis was no help fixing it. Moving on to a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate. Once again, my thanks to all who offered help. :worthy:

15. frnd247

frnd247 MDL Novice

May 17, 2010
    I have installed windows 7 professional om two different desktops using acronis image of my laptop (vostro 1510) and both the time i was successful.
    After restoring, windows 7 searches for the new drivers in the new systems and installs them automatically and thats all.
    One thing that i found is that though the desktops do not have nvidia GPU, i found the nvidia services to be running on the desktops as the acronis image has nvidia drivers of my laptops.

16. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010