Retail Image to Multi OEM... all attempts failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by obogobo, Mar 31, 2012.

1. obogobo

obogobo MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    I work tech support at school and end up having to do a lot of XP re-installs for students and staff. I have been trying to make a multi-OEM pre activating installation CD for the past week with little success. I'm hoping someone can help figure out what I'm not doing right, couple questions...

1. I am using a Retail Image of XP Pro SP3 direct from Microsoft, do I need to modify this to behave like an OEM?
    2. Do I need to use the compressed or uncompressed OEMBIOS files if I want the setup to automatically detect and install the files?
    3. Why does the install ask for a serial number if I made the OEM folder on the root of my CD (with oemscan and all the folders?)

The closest I've gotten is an install that didn't ask for a serial but still asked to activate post setup :/

Any thoughts? I've tried this guide by the way: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/21525-Create-your-own-MULTI-OEM-Windows-XP-DVD%85

2. obogobo

obogobo MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Thanks acrsn I'll repost soon with the results!

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Seriously re-think what & how you are doing it....!
    You should never need to re-install OS, you should keep an approved image of the hardware instead & clone it back when you need

Learn, never too late!

sebus

4. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009

And how would that work, unless his school specifies exactly what sort of hardware staff and students are allowed to purchase ? More likely people show up with all sorts of non-functioning makes and models.

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Ever heard of sysprep?

sebus

6. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    #6 CaptainKirk1966, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    ah, yes ..., but there are still some hardware restrictions.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Some, none that are impossible NOT to overcome (if you know what you are doing)

sebus

8. CaptainKirk1966

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, sysprep seems a better approach, but that multi-oem disk could still be a useful thing to have. :)

9. obogobo

obogobo MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    I've never heard of sysprep but this is not the type tech support you might be thinking of. We have a 24/7 walk-in center for anything college (or not) related... as you can imagine there are many incidents where an OS reinstall is just the easiest solution. An image would be nice but with all the different hardware types and state in which some computers come in it's not really feasible.

Anyways back to the OEM CD, my latest attempt is very close to working. The setup does not ask for a serial, but also doesn't automatically activate. I have to execute oemscan.exe when presented the desktop. After that it's activated and everything is good to go!

Any thoughts on why OEMAUTO isn't taking care of this during the setup though? It is specified in WINNT.SF

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Obviously you never even tried, otherwise you would know that the statement above is not true

I hope you check OEM sticker on the machines you do the re-install and you re-install the exact same version that the user is entitled to and NOT bang XP Pro on everything...

sebus

11. obogobo

obogobo MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    #11 obogobo, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    (OP)
    I appreciate the idea sebus, but I've done countless XP re-installs and am more comfortable with this idea than trying to swing a pre-made image by my boss. I may only have 3 posts here but I do have enough sense to not install Pro on every machine that comes in the door.

Now, any idea why OEMAUTO isn't being executed during the setup?

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    We cannot help need more info i,e, winnt.sif file and folder structure so paths can be checked also you add the oembios files in uncompressed format.

13. obogobo

obogobo MDL Novice

Mar 31, 2012
    Nevermind, I think I got it. Was installing off flash drive and the install source changes from drive U: to D: during installation! Thanks for the initial help