Retail key question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dolorous Edd, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    What happens if you accidentally activate a key on more than one computer? Any real world experience with this?

I know MSDN retail keys are treated slightly differently but I am referring to standard retail keys.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    When u run windows update on both computers, it will probably be blacklisted.
    My two cents...

3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    That is what I want to know, MSDN keys are different. You can use the key ten times and I don't think it matters if you use them concurrently however I want to know about retail full and upgrade keys. Do they kill both activations, just the one on the older activation?

I doubt the blacklist the key because honest mistakes happen when people have multiple keys around the house. I think that after 10 activations on an individual key you have to activat over the phone or something like that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
    I have activated the same key 4x by internet the 5th time i had to phone in. A simple oh I upgraded my motherboard will bypass there questions as to the new hardware ID

Different computers by the way.

5. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
    ROFL I seriously hope you where being sarcastic

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    :D sry bro, completely misinterpreted

7. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm using my retail home premium key on two computers.. let's see what happens..

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    well done you have just black listed your own key:)

9. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    let me know will ya ? :D:D

:D:D:D

10. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    Oh! if i won't update one of the system, 'll it be okay?

11. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I really don't think anything will happen but that is what I am trying to find out.

One person said he has it activated on 4 machines, be nice to get more input from people who have allready done this. Don't want someone to waste a key trying it if it won't work.

12. 22TKD

22TKD MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    I think retail key not bad than MSDN key

13. Lich King

Lich King MDL Addicted

Sep 24, 2009
    i don't think there is a difference between retail keys and msdn keys..
    they both are same.. infact, msdn keys are retail keys which is distributed through msdn channel..

14. thibault

thibault MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    i used just one key to activate my office 2007.
    they say you can use the key only one time but i activated it multiple times without any problems, i even could update it!

15. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    MS allows you to use a retail key on a different pc while the same key is already used on another pc. This way you can install you new pc before you format the old one and you can transfer the files and stuff whenever you want.
    So it's legal as long as you delete on of them after a while.
    But if you keep using the key on both pc's I guess nothing will happen though.

16. oxyblue80

oxyblue80 MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    ya but i know for sure with my vista home premium retail key after an os reload a screen came up saying that 'this product key is already in use'.. but it fixed itself strangely enough, so i dunno.