return Asus g50v to slic 2.0?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Fixer 69, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Hi, I am new to bios modding as you will see below, and I have the unusual problem that the replacement motherboard I put into my g50v has a slic 2.1 table, but my recovery software is Vista 64. I was considering using Andyp's AMI tool to return it to slic 2.0 so that my OEM software would activate automatically (the windows product key label is no longer completely legible).

I wondered if anyone has used this tool on a g50v and if the default settings worked for you, and also if backward modification from 2.1 to 2.0 has any special risks?

Or if there is an existing copy of the BIOS somewhere that includes the slic 2.0 table -- I haven't been able to track one down.

I happen to have another machine of the same model with apparently the correct BIOS and slic table -- is it easier to dump it from there and flash it to the problem machine, or is that also risky/complicated?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    make win 7 usb/dvd would be better.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Slic 2.1 is backwards compatible. You can activate both Vista & 7...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks -- I didn't know that, but maybe whatever is in the ACPI on this board isn't the right one for automatic activation. I'm reading up on Andyp's AMI tool. Any idea if there would be anything weird about the G50v's bios when it comes to using that?

5. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Agreed, but I'm getting ready to sell this computer, and I was planning to include the original disks with it, but I want them to be as legit as possible and usable too...

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    tell them when u update bios it enables hp win 7 disk automatic activation.

7. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Good news bad news

So just to update, there's good news and bad news -- the good news is, I held my breath and flashed my bios with Andyp's tools using the provided Asus components (and decided to use a slic 2.1 table anyway to keep it open to Win 7 OEM installation in the future), and I did not brick the laptop! The bad news is, when I reinstalled from the recovery partition, it still turned up as "not genuine" even though it is clearly an Asus g50v copy of Vista. Am I missing something? I thought I might try installing from the disks I used on the other g50vt that I have, which worked on that one, activation and all. But I would appreciate any suggestions as to why it wouldn't automatically update this time. I did make sure that the certificate verified as matching, fyi.

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You said it already had Slic 2.1! Why are you doing anything with the bios with Andy's tool?
    Go back to HP & get the older bios with Slic 2.0 for Vista & re-flash it. Or reflash the newer 1 from HP & install 7.
    If you have 7 the you can upgrade it to Win 10...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks for the reply -- I did the mod and flash because according to the earlier post on this thread slic 2.1 should have activated my Vista, but wasn't, so I was operating on the theory that some other data in there was incorrect. Is it true that 2.1 should activate OEM Vista? I'm not sure what HP is -- is that the collection of modded bios? I didn't see one for my board there.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    it should have.. likely needs not Dynamic mod but SSV or ISA or whatever to add slic 2.1 not replace.
    ask for a mod in proper place.

11. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    I posted a request per your suggestion, and meanwhile I noticed that the instructions always say to flash from DOS (I assume still with aflash.exe?). I used Easyflash because I already knew how to do that, but would that have left out the slic changes?

12. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    I didn't get a response to my mod request, possibly because I initially forgot to include the bios link and edited it in later. Tomorrow will be a week -- is it appropriate to repost the request at that point?

I also wondered if there is an easy or at least straightforward way to copy the acpi from an identical machine (which I have) and use it to mod the bios myself?