Reusing Metro Apps between users

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bhupeshgajria, Aug 20, 2012.

1. bhupeshgajria

bhupeshgajria MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Hi
    Can we "reuse" the metro apps installed by one user.
    I installed MS office, and other "Non metro" apps. They are coming under All Apps when I login through another user.... but the ones I installed through store are not coming. Do I need to install all the apps again through store when I login with a new user?:confused:

Thanks

2. bhupeshgajria

bhupeshgajria MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Guys.... anyone?
    :(

3. guanellaluigi

guanellaluigi MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2008
    App executables are stored under the %LocalSettings% path of the current user, so what you are asking seems unfeasible.

IMHO this is a weak point of the whole Metro strategy on desktop machines. For years we have been taught that Desktop PCs are multi-user machines, and we should set up a separate account for each family member.
    Now, in what was the "recommended" setup, we are unable to share paid apps between family members.... :confused:

4. ammarman

ammarman MDL Member

Jul 17, 2009
  5. bhupeshgajria

bhupeshgajria MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    Thanks.... will go through.... but this is bad.... even if it is not a paid app.... installing it multiple times is a pain :(

6. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    It's because the apps are tied to your account, not your computer. If you log in to the Microsoft Store and right-click you can access your account summary, including all of the apps you've purchased; this includes any you installed during the various preview editions and on different computers. I personally like that it's tied to an account this way since that means you can buy a paid app once and install it again if you switch computers or have to reformat without having to buy it again.