Reusing Windows 8.1 key for upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dimen363, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dimen363

dimen363 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    Hello. I have been using Windows 8.1 Pro Retail on my main PC, and after some time i have upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro for free like everyone else has. I've also recently bought a new laptop without any OS, so I installed windows 8.1 pro on it and have successfully activated it with Windows 8.1 Pro key that i had previously purchased for my main PC. So my question is: Is it possible to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 Pro without any problems now or it won't activate because i've used the same key to upgrade another computer before?

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    The only way to find out is try it. The worst that can happen is that window will be deactivated on one of the installs.

Why not just install windows 7 and activate with daz loader and update. Know to work

3. dimen363

dimen363 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    #3 dimen363, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    (OP)
    Well, after installing, activating and updating my windows 8.1 installation with all possible updates, important and optional, it seems that windows 10 upgrade notification just doesn't appear. Windows 10 upgrade app was successfully installed through windows update, i've even tried troubleshooting it, but the notification just doesn't appear. There is no point in installing windows 7 and then upgrading it since i am going to the university after a few days an i'm gonna get windows 10 education license for free.

Edit:
    I've now got the windows 10 upgrade notification. Going to upgrade and share my results with everyone else later.

Edit 2:
    Successfully upgraded my laptop to windows 10, says that windows is activated. My main desktop computer shows that windows is activated aswell. So it seems that you can use one retail windows 8/8.1 to upgrade multiple PC's to windows 10.

P.S.
    I also did a clean install of windows 10 on my laptop after the upgrade had finished, still says that windows is activated.