Reverse engineering Spotify

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Hazar, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Hello everyone:

I've looked into reversing the code behind Spotify in an attempt to thwart the advertising mechanism as it drives me to breaking point.

I've had a look, and it appears to be using TheMida protection, which virtualizes the code as it is being executed, and also causes OllyDbg to crash because of an unsafe conversion, deliberately. It also requires Phantom plugins for OllyDbg to even load. So it looks like it'll be tough. But if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Presumably the function to play an advert/find one could be jumped over, or the line calling that function could be nopped.

I'm no expert in ASM though, so I've turned to the gurus here at MDL.

Hazar

2. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Hey Hazar,

How things working out for you?

You might be interested in this: reversi . ng / spotifyadfree

Sadly:

"To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 12 posts."

Bottom line: this guy has completely hacked a free Spotify Premium for the Mac.

And this: Despotify (3rd party ad free client; actually, there are quite a few 3rd party Spotify clients but all require a premium account)

"Despotify has been blocked for users using 'Free' accounts.
    You can still use Despotify using 'Premium' accounts.

We will not attempt to circumvent this block, nor accept any patches circumventing it. If you disagree with this decision, you are free to fork the code."

Dunno if it's the right place to ask but I for one would be interested in free Spotify Premium for Windows. :cool:

3. idsk

idsk MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    just use the web version, it's quite easy to skip the audio ads using firefox

4. IAmAPC

IAmAPC MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Does the Firefox method fakes you as a Premium subscriber? 320k stream with no ads or it simply gives you 30 sec of silence instead of ads after every other track? Big difference.

The alternative Mac client I linked to totally fakes you a Premium subscriber.