Revive a dead i5 laptop - buy SSD ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mutoid, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    I was given a dead i5 laptop recently .

The hard-drive has failed completely ... all the usual tricks for accessing a dying drive have not worked.

I'm thinking of buying a small , inexpensive SSD as an easy way of making it a test-bed for various Operating Systems ,VMs etc.

My problem is that I have no personal experience of SSDs , and which brands I should be looking at , or avoiding.

I won't be doing any gaming or video editing , so value-for-money is more important than size .

Any tips and advice will be much appreciated .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

3. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #3 Antilope, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Put Linux on a USB stick and boot and test the laptop from that prior to buying an SSD drive. Linux runs fine from a USB stick. Try Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint. Use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick from a Linux ISO. An 8gb USB stick is large enough to do this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Thanks for that Antilope.

We are on the same wave-length !
    I started thread in the Linux forum earlier , on this very topic .... in particular lightweight Linux distros.

But ultimately I'm going to want to install a permanent OS on the machine , and that's where my interest in SSD comes from.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    No problems here with Samsung, Crucial and Intel. And to save money, you don't need the fastest 6GB/S transfer rate - a slower 3GB/S is still magnitudes above any laptop hard drive. I've bought used "factory pulls" from reputable eBay sellers - never disappointed.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The 850 Samsung 250 gb SSD's are going for the $100. price, which is really cheap compared to last year

7. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #7 Antilope, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    Amazon has a department they call "Warehouse Deals" that re-sells customer returns, open box items, damaged box items, shelf worn items, and just one of a kind old stock, etc with the full Amazon warranty. If you are an Amazon Prime member (I am) everything in the "Warehouse Deals" department is eligible for the Prime 2-day free shipping.

They currently have several really good SSD drive deals there: (most are one of a kind)

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - $84
    Kingston Digital HyperX FURY 240GB SSD - $78
    Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $64
    SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD - $75
    etc, etc.

To find this department, go to the Amazon main webpage. Click on "Today's Deals", then click on "Open Box & Used". From there, search for "SSD Drives".

8. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Thanks to all for your advice .... just what I needed , a good overview.

There's plenty for me to consider here , but I'm liking the the look of the Amazon " Warehouse deals " !