Revived my old Asus P5 WDH Deluxe PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kingedwards, Oct 5, 2010.

1. kingedwards

kingedwards MDL Junior Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Just telling a success story here.

I purchased an Asus P5 WDH Deluxe motherboard rev 1.03 early 2006. It was one of the first LGA 775 quad core motherboard ever made. When I first built my system my specs were as follows:

E6400 2.13ghz core 2 duo
    2GB DDR2 800 OCZ memory
    500GB 5400RPM Seagate HDD
    ATI Sapphire X1650 768MB Video Card
    DL 20x Combo burner w/ lightscribe
    Windows XP

The computer worked great from the start and the motherboard is one of the most feature packed I have seen even to todays standards. I bought this motherboard before quad core was released, but it claimed with a bios update it could support quads. The motherboard also has embedded wireless G which never seemed to work properly with windows XP. I have been using this system as those specs for the past four years for gaming and home media center. I have it hooked to a 50" vizio LCD TV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just recently upgraded this system and am very impressed with the turn out and felt like telling someone since my gf does not speak computer lingo at all. I picked up the Q9300 2.5Ghz quad core off ebay for pretty cheap. I tried all sorts of things, but could not get the system to post. When I powered it on, all the lights and fans would start going, but no display or post.

I looked all over google and everyone claimed that the motherboard did not and could not support this new of processor. Come to find out if you have the latest bios version 3001 the motherboard will randomly post and randomly crash. I struggled several times trying to get this thing to work properly when I realized I had to remove the bios jumper to make it reset. After doing this and powering the computer on it has booted up and posted perfectly every time with the Q9300.

I then added 6GB more of DDR2 800 OCZ memory to bring me to a total of 8GB RAM. I replaced the video card with an ATI Sapphire HD 4670 1GB 128-bit card with HDMI. I also added a 1TB 7200RPM Seagate hard drive as the new primary. I picked up a BD player from newegg for cheap. And lastly I upgraded the system to windows 7.

Current system specs overview:

P5 WDH Deluxe mobo
    Q9300 2.5Ghz core 2 quad CPU
    8GB DDR2 800 OCZ memory
    1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD
    500GB 5400RPM Seagate HDD
    ATI Sapphire HD 4670 1GB 128-bit video card w/ HDMI
    DL 20x Combo burner w/ lightscribe
    BD Player
    Windows 7 Ultimate

This thing is flying again and it feels like a brand new computer. The best part is that with Windows 7 the onboard wireless is working flawlessly. I have the computer hooked up to my TV through the HDMI now so the sound comes through my TV eliminating the need for separate speakers to be hooked up to the computer. I cancelled the cable and started netflix and integrated with with windows media center. Also got the justin.tv and hulu plug-ins.

Overall I am very happy with my old mobo and pleased with its capabilities. :biggrin:

2. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    do you still want and use your old processer because im am in need of and can not afford a new prcesser a got a 775 p4 it craptacular

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...