Revo Uninstaller?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Doghen, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Doghen

Doghen Guest

Hey there, i'm new to Revo Uninstaller..
    can i trust this Software to uninstall all leftovers of programs?
    because i don't want get viruses or s**t on my pc :(
    Cheers'

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    When you obtained an original copy and bought a license it should be ok.

3. Doghen

Doghen Guest

What is the official site of Revo Uninstaller, and i just wanna use the Free (Portable) version from the site is that good enough and either Virus-free, trustable? Cheers

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Stupid virus.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Many times when you get a software from a third party (C-Net, ect) it will come bundled with something you do not want or need. Always get the software from the original company

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    To give a straight answer to your original question, no, Revo can't be guaranteed to remove all traces of an app, it depends on the case. But it will nevertheless do a good job, better than the app's own uninstaller, or as good if the latter is perfect, which it rarely is.

If you want maximum removal or leftovers, the pro version will do a better job, but still not 100%, unless you monitor the installation and uninstall soon after.

As for viruses, it's not Revo's job to remove them, you need an antivirus. But you could well catch some, if you use a pirated version of Revo.

8. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    HI,
    if you wannt more revolution, PM me

WIKI:)

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Will PrivaZer allow me to save certain cookies and delete the rest ?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It is not possible for a single-click application acting after the event to remove all traces of a program from the registry. To do this, you need full knowledge of both the program as well as the registry.

But if you act before installation, you can take a snapshot of the registry and restore it afterwards, provided you haven't changed it too much. Revo Pro can do this, but not the free version.

Single-click registry cleaners are of little use and, if they try to go too deeply, can damage your system.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Katzenfreund:
    If you talk about Registra, it's an easy way to find out how it works: Download and try/use it!

I use Registra as Pro version for quite some years and that with great success!

A simple fact, and must (!) for anybody who's using to edit and manipulate the Windows Registry, as with many other actions of use editing/manipulating files etc is, that always need to do a backup! Who didn't do such should keeps his/her hands off from such action!
    Revo Uninstaller leaves still a lot of content in the registry! If you use even or more Uninstallers on the same machine, Revo is the one which will delete the content of those other Uninstallers also! And that could result in ab to damaging the whole Windows installation and system! The test's I done around a year ago with Revo had such outcome! So, Thank you and a big NO for Revo!

All such system tools and editors, I use to test on a special machine upfront using otherwise!

Regarding:
    You could simply make a backup of your Registry at any time you like! Just, who really would do that? From hundred user one or just one from a thousand?? How often you did that?
    I run on my work machines a Macro Script which will backup the Registry at any new start of the machine and numbering those backup files! Even with a simple Batch command/file that could be done easy! I'm just a Macro Freak and lose Macros for many tasks I repeatedly use often! Saves a lot of time and 'a headache'!

13. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Reading it again, this was expressed badly by me, apologies. What Revo and other such uninstallers do, is monitor the changes made to the registry by the program installer, and then remove these (and only these). The registry may have changed in the meantime and it won't bring it back to where it was before installation, which you don't want, but only remove the changes made by the program. So in fact it's not a simple registry backup you can do yourself.

But if you just want to install a program for testing and then uninstall it immediately afterwards, then a registry backup or SRP is what you want.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Different scenarios!!

That I use Backup's of the registry at any Start of the used machine, is simply because I like to be able to follow up changes done. That have helped me quite some time to get the culprits from unprecedented changes!

My main use of Registra is mostly to remove leftover entries after uninstalling a apps etc.! That's easily done with the Search Engine from Registra, just need to add the correct search terms! The way Registra is using is much more comfortable than those of the most other Registry Editors and very fast.

Anyway, it's all about what someone like and/or dislike!! Up to the user of any computer, what he/she like and/or will use!

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To make it very clear: Editing the entries in the Windows Registry is dangerous and the user could easily end up in big trouble! Oly those who knows what he/she is doing should ever touch that Registry!

Be careful with the use of any System Tools, be such from Microsoft or 3.party, which lets you alter the base-settings of an OS, you may end up with an not working system! And that includes not Registry Editor only, also Uninstallers and many other kinds of tools!

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I do not think we should rely so much on third party uninstallers, using Windows to uninstall is always best (even if it's not the greatest) Many times software will share a .dll file with another software, and if your third party uninstaller kills this .dll associated with another software

17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    While what you say about DLLs is in principle correct, albeit not much of a danger in practice, using Windows to uninstall a program actually means using the program's own uninstaller, as Windows doesn't have an uninstaller as such. And as already said, the program's own uninstaller often doesn't do a good job. This is because program developers are really interested in you installing their products, not uninstalling them, and thus don't pay the needed attention to the latter.

Now, good third party uninstallers like Revo, first use the program's own and, if you want, proceed to improve on it in 2 or 3 stages. The first stage they call "Safe", the second "Standard" and the third "Advanced". In the vast majority of cases, the Standard setting is also safe. But, as you expect, the Advanced setting entails risks. Of course, they show you what they're about to delete, so if you're in doubt about an entry, you can leave it. Furthermore, the uninstaller creates a System Restore Point before it starts.

The above little tut because I find myself in a positive Sunday mood. :)