Right Click New Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by night.fox, Oct 20, 2009.

1. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Have tried searching how to edit right click new menu.

When I was in Vista, I used tune up utilities but tune up is currently not working for windows 7. Any registry hack or whatever so I can disable some of the new menus in my click right. ( i would a new shortcut and new folder only, else i dont like it) For some people like it but not to me ^_^.

Can someone help pls?

Many thanks

2. microjunk

microjunk MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Im not sure of the correct keys, but you can edit context menus in the registry.

perhaps someone can elaborate more on this

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    If your only issue is to remove some NEW entries from the right click menu, you can easily do this yourself in the registry without any 3rd party programs. Find the EXTENSION for the New {whatever} you want to remove (create one on the desktop if needed), then open up regedit to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and expand it. All the extensions are there listed alphabetically. For example, say you want to get rid of New Bitmap (.bmp)--go to that entry in HCR, expand it and you will see a ShellNew key. Rename that key to -ShellNew (just add the minus sign). Done. Continue for any others in a similar manner.

5. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    i use the 32 bit version also.so dont know if it will work on 64.

6. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009

YES!!!!! This is what I want! Thanks man.... good thing havent installed any third party yet ^_^ .... now my right click menu is neat now he he ...

as an additional, for "new briefcase" same thing... navigate through HCR-->briefcase and "-shellnew"

Thank you again ^_^

7. Yurbuh Tuggly

Yurbuh Tuggly MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    You're welcome. Glad to help. My Right Click New is Folder, Shortcut, and Text Document, so I know exactly what you mean by getting rid of all that other crap.
    I prefer the term "Minimalist", rather than "Obsessive".

8. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    same here bro... the only thing now is Folder and shortcut ... no more ..

9. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    do a google for FileMenu tools. should have all the adjustments you need ,and it works with win7.

10. night.fox

night.fox MDL Member

Sep 21, 2009
    thanks for the suggestion. but to be honest, i dont want to install third party software now. Registry hack should be sufficient as I only want the right click new menu to be modified.

If I want third party, i will wait for tune up. been using tune up since Xp ^_^