Root certificates becoming invalid

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Arakon, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Arakon

Arakon MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2007
    I've been using a SLIC modded GA-EP45-UD3 with Win 7 Ultimate for the past 2 years or so. After half a year, I was unable to install i.e. .net 4.0, games for windows client, run the genuine validation code creator, etc. They all came back with "generic trust failure". I tried repairing the system (SFC), replacing the certs, etc. Nothing would work. So recently, I reinstalled windows from scratch.. everything was fine, I could install everything again.. 2 months later, busted again. I put a backup from a month earlier back on, and all works once again. Windows says it's genuine and all.. anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

2. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Does this only happen with software installations or are you getting certificate errors on HTTPS websites too? If so, do you get errors only with IE and Chrome (they use Windows' certificate store) or with browsers that use their own certificate store (Firefox, Opera) as well?

3. Arakon

Arakon MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2007
    Using IE, I also get the errors on https sites, yes. With firefox, the same sites work fine.
    I tried several workarounds I found (which usually refered to specific apps not working, not everything signed in general), ranging from deleting and re-installing certificates, telling the .exe properties to install the certificate used, to using SFC to restore system files to default, all to no avail.

4. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    It does sound like something messing with the certificate store. Is the "Cryptographic Services" service set to "Automatic" and running? Is your computer joined to a domain that might apply incorrect security settings? Have a look at the Event Viewer, any errors or warnings that relate to cryptographic services or certificates? Also make sure you're running an up-to-date virus or malware scanner.

5. Arakon

Arakon MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2007
    I'll check when this occurs again. No domain involved, and the event viewer only said the same as the popup.. "Installation failed due to general trust failure" or something to that effect. I run antivirus and malware scanners, of course.. tried a whole bunch to make sure it's not that, to no avail.