[Rootkit] badBIOS

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by david_xross_2, Nov 4, 2013.

1. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    1. this was already posted a couple of days ago, and if it affects everything, why did you put it specifically in the Windows 8 forum?
    2. this sentence destroys all credibility: "Strangest of all was the ability of infected machines to transmit small amounts of network data with other infected machines even when their power cords and Ethernet cables were unplugged and their Wi-Fi and Bluetooth cards were removed."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    lol ... they forgot to remove the cmos battery which keeps the bios sending data even when entirely unplugged :rofl6:

4. david_xross_2

david_xross_2 MDL Senior Member

Aug 31, 2012
    #4 david_xross_2, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    (OP)
    Because I'm a Windows 8.x User and as it affects Windows as well as OSX/Open BSD, just wanted some opinions on its credibility...Thanks for your opinion though!

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #7 EFA11, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I don't find it strange to be honest, transmitting data by sound isn't revolutionary or exactly new. It does not state in that sentence that the battery was removed. At an off state, the battery is still continuing to run and with the right programing I wouldn't see why it couldn't activate the built in speaker or send power to certain electronic components as dots and dashes to generate sound. It does state however that both systems were infected, meaning in my mind that if both are infected and have the ability to TX/RX, either could TX to the other while the other would RX. Think amateur radio at high frequency.

far fetched, sure.. but not entirely impossible.

6. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Is HE realy sure this arn't leakage or residual current from the microfon or speakers? (You know there are magnets in them and they affect faulty wireing)

Overall the "credibility" of this article is "could be", "is possible", "he is a credible man", "he is a trusting security guy", "proof of concepts are in labs" and the rest is "we have to belive this observation". No real hard evidence of anything is provided in this article. Not even a firware-dump, all the detailed "observations" and "forensic testing" from nearly 3 years of suposingly hard work is shown. More or less an article of hear say, guessing and could be. Far away from any real science in my opinion!

Is this subject now the chemtrails of IT?