Router and NAS not visible in explorer/Network in 1709

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by FAQ_, Dec 10, 2017.

1. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi there.

I posted this in [DISCUSSION] Windows 10 (1709 RS3) "Fall Creators Update" Final 16299.15 & 16299.64 (PC) but I should have started a new thread, so ...

I have 2 Intel NUCs, on both of them I used 2015 LTSB, and I had no problems, the same goes for the desktop still running 8.1, and an old Windows 7 laptop.
    On one of the NUCs I installed 1709 (16299.98)
    The router and NAS are not visible in explorer/Network, I can reach them however through \\routername and \\nasname.
    I found out that it probably has something to do with SMBv1, it isn't installed by default in 1709.
    I guess someone probably has a solution for this, I don't want to mess with the install.
    How can I make the router and NAS visible in explorer/Network?

I found Info on Synology Forums, TechNet and Microsoft Support, but I cannot post links yet, sorry for that.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Is Your Network Sharing enabled/turned on?
    Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
    Select Advanced sharing settings
    Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
    mark or check this
    Turn on network discovery and save settings

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Yes it is, on all 4 computers.
    I always check/sync settings when I do a clean install.
    I even tried turning off/on again, no change.
    On the other machines in Network there are 4 computers + router + NAS.
    On the new install there are only the 4 computers in Network.
    The desktop and NUC1 are wired, the laptop and NUC2 are wireless.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tuareg

Tuareg MDL Novice

May 6, 2007
    You must enable SMB v1!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @FAQ_:

Every traffic on a Network (LAN) will go via a Router! If the Router isn't configured correctly, the user will face some problem. That said if the Router isn't configured correctly, and the user gets errors, he/she will need to correctly configure the Router first, following by 'adjusting' the settings of any of the attached devices. That also would acquire the correct adjustment of the running (Security-) Application include the Firewall and others on each Device which is connected to the Network!

The configuration of the NAS is a different 'game'! NAS Application is not as easy to configure than others. Most of the NAS is running on Linux (within their own Firmware)! And that could differ a lot by the used brands!

What I explained in my other post, is just for basic and simple check and test of your Network. Without very detailed info, include screenshots etc. it would be hard to help. Bye!

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    It's doesn't have anything to do with SMBv1 protocol. See:
    Code:
    SMB 1.0 (or SMB1) – The version used in Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2
    SMB 2.0 (or SMB2) – The version used in Windows Vista (SP1 or later) and Windows Server 2008
    SMB 2.1 (or SMB2.1) – The version used in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
    SMB 3.0 (or SMB3) – The version used in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    With the latest WinPE I built I couldn't connect to my SVR 2003, hence I discovered the SMB versions.
    (I re-enabled SMBv1 when I built WinPE & it now connects).

When I upgraded to 1709 at home, my PC share isn't seen by my android devices (phones/tv) but my Nas is shared fine.
    The properties look ok for the share but it's not seen! Since I mainly use the Nas I haven't bothered delving into it though...

8. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks, but I kinda hoped it would, helping to find a solution.

9. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Also, My advised to upgrade the firmware on Synology unit to make sure you had lastest firmware!

10. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks, that is good advise, that's why both Synology units automatically check for and install updates.
    So that's not what causes it either.

Before the 1709 install on the NUC everything always worked perfectly, on and between all 4 machines and the router + NAS.
    There were 2 LTSB 2015 installs on the 2 NUCs, 1 Windows 8.1 on the desktop, and 1 Windows 7 install on an older laptop.
    I installed 1709 on this NUC, and now it's the only one that works differently.
    So it is this new windows version that makes the difference.

When I do a clean install I use a system, I set all machines up identically, walk back and forth between 2 of them.
    When I install default software on one of them, I do the same on the other machines.
    Especially the other NUC is a backup for everything, and the laptop but it is somewhat different because Windows 7 is somewhat different.

On all 4 machines in "Other Devices" there are the 2 TVs + Synology router + Synology NAS + the desktop (Twonky NMC Queue Handler).
    On all 4 machines in "Network Structure" there is the Synology router.
    On all 4 machines in "Media Devices" there are the 2 TVs + Synology router + Synology NAS + the desktop running Twonky.
    On the other 3 machines there are 6 computers in "Computers" in Network, the 4 actual computers + Synology router + Synology NAS.
    On the NUC running 1709 there are only the 4 actual computers in "Computers".
    And if I enter either \\routername or \\nasname in the networkbar, I can see all the shares on both of them.
    They just don't show in Network under "Computers".
    And that's only after I installed the 1709 version on this NUC.
    And it is the untouched iso, hashchecked and confirmed.

So if I or somebody can't find what causes this, I have 3 options.
    Install this retail EN-UK home version that I paid good money for, but I prefer more privacy options.
    Or try installing LTSB 2016, and see if that works like the 2015 version did.
    Or live with this "imperfection", and be able to use the (almost) complete set of Windows options.

Thanks for trying to figure this out, all efforts are appreciated.

11. jean_phile

jean_phile MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hi,
    change your firewall public to private.

12. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i had the same problem after i disabled homegroup provider service. devices are still accessible with \\ip-adress\

13. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Maybe, just maybe, this has something to do with NetBIOS
    Does your NAS have a static or a dynamic IP address?

14. MrBeer

MrBeer MDL Member

May 23, 2007
    i don't know much about has but when i get home from work will post what you have to enable to get windows to see other windows in the explorer. Window turns off some services that needs to be enable to see other computer .had this problem for a long time and found a video on YouTube how to fix it.

15. MrBeer

MrBeer MDL Member

May 23, 2007
    Try this this fix my computers not shown up in windows explorer

Turn on and put it to Automatic Mode

Control Panel
    All Control Panel Items
    Administrative Tools
    Services

DNS Clinet (on) ( on and Automatic By Default)
    Function Discovery Resource Publication (on) (on and Manual By Default)
    SSDP Discovery (on) (on and Manual By Default)
    UPnP Device Host (on) (OFF and Manual By Default)(Seems to work without this one turn on)

Then restart computer

Don't know if this will help you with your problem.

16. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    HI, I had the same issue, and did the same changes as mentioned above.. your are "Public" and you need to change it to "Private"

Move network profile from Public to Private under gpedit.msc:

I would not recommend this for laptops (but you still should have the choice to switching).. under PC's this option is not available anymore so you need to 'force' it..
    Try this:

click the Start button, type gpedit.msc then press Enter key
    click Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Network List Manager Policies
    double-click on Unidentified Networks / change Location type from Not configured to Private then click OK to close the window.
    Reboot.

17. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    I have 4 NAS and I use Windows 10 Pro 1709 and still visible no problems, as long is Private Network are set. If you use Public, I wouldn't do that..