router as a software

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bergy37, Jan 2, 2016.

1. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Hi guys,

I would like to configure my verizon gateway router g1100 in to a vpn. Would someone be able to help me out with it?

thx

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Firstly you should explain in details what you really would to do! What you wrote could be simply all or nothing!!

Maybe you should first learn WHAT a VPN is all about and what all is need for to 'turn something into a VPN'!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bergy37

bergy37 MDL Member

Dec 23, 2015
    First off, What do you guys consider the best way to use a vpn, software or a hardware one? If hardware, I would like to turn my verizon fios router into one and Keep on the other things a router does as well.

If u need any other info, plz let me know.

thx

4. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    I'm very fond of pfSense firewalls. I've set up two last year and have not had to so much as reboot one. They are very stable and can run on any x86 hardware. One of them is at a business right now where they use IPSec w/ the Shrewsoft client. pfSense also simultaneously supports OpenVPN, which is nice if you prefer to use that.

The beauty of it is it will run on any old computer you have (that has two NICs) and it is FREE. I've got one at my work on some old Core2Duo machine I had laying around that I put another NIC in. For Wifi I'm just using an ASUS RT-N12 router as an access point.

I have a friend who works for a nearby county who installed a pfSense box as the main firewall for the entire county's government network (government, all the public schools, libraries, etc). It's on an old i7 system (way overkill, even for that kind of network) and runs great. I think they just built another one last week with 10-gig NICs.