Router -> Router

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by RASelkirk, Nov 10, 2019.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi all,

I've got a couple IOT items that, for security reasons, I don't want connected directly to my home router. My thought is to get a 2nd cheap router, let my IOT stuff connect thru it, then let that router into my home network. My home router is a Netgear Nighthawk 7000, I think this is possible. I guess my main concern is having my router PW exposed thru these (cheap Chicom) IOT things...

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Russ

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #2 Joe C, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks Joe! I read through the manual when I first got it, then slept and forgot most of it. :( I got it set up today, but have had to contact the vendor to see how to flush my stored "previous connection " info from the IoT device (Orbit B-Hyve smart hub). Mfg'ers tend to "stupid-proof" these things to the point where it's almost impossible to do a factory reset w/o their help. :mad: Nothing in the manual or online help system other than the the old "Insert Flap A and Throw it Away" stuff...

Russ

4. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Finally got my IoT dongle working (Orbit B-hyve hub), no thanks to their miraculously cr@ppy tech support. The guest network works perfectly and I don't have to give this Chicom garbage access to my personal network. I had bought a couple WiFi cameras 3 years ago to "monitor" the crews remodeling our kitchen, front rooms, and hallway, wish I'd known about this (and had a decent router) back then. I absolutely hated letting these cams have access to my inner net...

Thanks!

Russ

5. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I've got a VPN, thanks. Am currently using it one 'puter but am considering putting it on the router and covering everything on my 'net.

Russ