RRAS in win7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dvader, Nov 29, 2009.

1. dvader

dvader MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2009
    I can enable the service Routing and Remote access service in windows 7
    but there is no MMC snapin to manage the VPN server.

Is there a way to take the files from server 2008 and copy them over?

I'm running win 7 ultimate and would like to make it a vpn server (for personal / 1 connection useage)

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. dvader

dvader MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2009
    Anybody? Help me out here :)

3. rdyoung

rdyoung MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2009
    An even easier way to do it, is buy a router, if you dont already have one, that supports dd-wrt, openwrt or even tomato, and set that up as a vpn server. It will have a smaller power footprint and wont have to be on all the time. That's how I have mine setup so I can be sure I am secure wherever I am using my laptop away from home or a network that I setup.

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    RRAS is just to support VPN client connections why would you think that it is even possible to run a VPN (VPN Server is an incorrect term since a VPN is a network not a server it doesn't serve clients), on a client OS? If you need a VPN then buy a VPN appliance or set up Server to do it.

5. dvader

dvader MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2009
    You have to run openvpn with that setup though, correct?
    You can't use windows' built in software?

6. dvader

dvader MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2009
    You can setup a pptp or ipsec connection. I did it with w2k3
    and I had encryption across it.
    It's just so i can RDP into my server from work and when i'm at other people's houses.
    I dont want to use OPENvpn or anything like that because then i would have to install a bunch of software where ever i go.
    if i do a pptp/ipsec setup in RRAS, i can use the software in windows to make a secure connection back to my box and rdp across it.
    I switched to windows 7 ult. because I dont really need a domain for 2 or 3 computers. but my box does run 24/7 because it is a dvr and file server.

Again, the idea is not to have to install additional software.
    I think the the mmc snapin from win2k8 copied over to win7 would work. the service is in win7 already. its' just disabled.
    But i dont have win2k8 and have not tried it. so i was hoping someone else may have tried it.

7. B_khoshbakhti

B_khoshbakhti MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2011
    certain answer

Hi, yes it is true that you can start the Routing And Remote Access in windows xp & windows 7,you can run the windows as a Microsoft Router with the following command but I do not know its commands for VPN and other services in which is related with the service.
    Route print
    route add <the destination address> mask <the subnet mask> <gateway ip address>
    :eek:

8. jackfrosty

jackfrosty MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2011
    If you don't have a solution to offer just don't reply with garbage

I had to create an account to this dumb forum just to respond to morons who give dumb solutions to a simple problem. He was asking for an MMC snap in for RRAS. One idiot suggest "buy a router", and the other openvpn. If you have nothing smart to offer, just STFU.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #9 urie, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    I don't see you posting any useful information either If that is all you have to offer with your first post I suggest you go to another forum.

10. oscill8r

oscill8r MDL Junior Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Install Microsoft Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) ;)

11. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

1.First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.

2.Click on Change adapter settings.

3.Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection

4.Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.

5.Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.

6.Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.

7.Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...