RSA Signed Image

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by netwave, Jan 5, 2012.

1. netwave

netwave MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    If a Bios image is RSA Signed can the whitelist still be removed?

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    Yen,what is the purpose of modding a BIOS? The only thing i know about BIOS is to update it

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. To add/enable SLIC for oem:slp activation (I think this is the main use ;))
    2. To remove whitelist check / add ID's to break hardware restrictions.
    3. To add CPU micro-code upgrade (unofficial).
    4. To overclock.
    5. To change bios splash image.

& many more.... :)

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Actually it is an ideology to modify BIOSES.
    Many features are disabled or restricted by the OEMs to make more money.

Example whitelist: Most notebooks have got a whitelist in the BIOS. This means you are allowed to run only 'licensed' add on hardware with it such as some particular wlan cards.
    You have spend your good money for your notebook, but the manufacturer dictates you which hardware you are allowed to run.
    Also they are using a moderate setup to run the hardware components such as CPU / GPU speed and other settings.
    Some BIOSes are restricted and the options to control them simply have been hidden.
    They don't allow you, the honest customer, to tweak your notebook / PC!

What a impertinence. They want you to buy as soon as possible a new notebook instead of allowing you to tweak your 'old' one.

I hate this strategy most imperialistic companies are practicing.
    Past times the customers followed what they got dictated from the monopolistic companies.
    But recently more and more fight against these politics by gaining knowledge how to break their stuff. (BIOS /UEFI / ROMs of mobiles / ROMs of TVs and so on).

The same is with OSes. Most think M$ is doing their best to develop a new OS. In fact they want your money to upgrade. The OS is an restricted crap, restricted to protect their interest and to create a dependency of the customer.

We could have already a far more developed OS if there would be a real competition, but with those brainwashed w8 enthusiasts it never will happen.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Valkirie

Valkirie MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2011
    C'mon, Canouna is a good guy :p (Joking)

Yen is 200% true !

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Hehe Canouna is a good friend, he knows the way I post. :biggrin:;)

9. netwave

Mar 8, 2011
    To be able to post links or images your post count must be 20 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.
    :eek:

Spot on Tito
    It's no2 in my case,
    I have a 2XGNJ Ericsson WWAN PCI-E card that prevents bootup because of the restricted HP Bios,
    Yen I couldnt agree more with post #6 well said!

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Everybody can post links, such like h**p://w*w.linkto.com ;)

11. netwave

Mar 8, 2011
    hmm just tried that but vBulletin™ still knew I tried posting those links haha

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Then you need to fool it even more, lol.
    h**p://w*w.linkto.com

Now it doesn't tag it as link.

13. netwave

Mar 8, 2011
    #13 netwave, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    (OP)
    BIOS link: h**p://h10025.wVw1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-101099-1&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4063&product=4216977&sw_lang=
    BIOS dump: h**p://wVw.sendspace.com/file/hci94r

"EDIT"please ignore this post! (links cannot be correctly posted until 20 posts are made) ;)

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is exactly as expected.
    The BIOS on the chip is decrypted. At the BIOS update it is encrypted and becomes decrypted when flashed.
    After andy's tool has decrypted it, it is the same.

So yes generally spoken it doesn't matter if RSA encrypted or not, it can be modified.
    To flash it properly back I suggest to use a flasher that is made for unencrypted EFIs though.

To remove the whitelist you have to find the right code though, this is the tricky part.

15. netwave

Mar 8, 2011
    Cool, there's a slim chance my card might work then.
    Do you know if Uniflash flashes unencrypted EFIs?
    Going to do some research on removing whitelists now, though Im a bit worried I might screw up the Bios on my 1st attempt.

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No uniflash is a very old tool to flash BIOSes (preferably Award and AMI). It is outdated and not able to flash UEFI.
    You need also Insydeflash and the platform.ini that comes with the update (flash instructions).
    I would grab one Insydeflash tool from another HP biosupdate that isn't encrypted.

There are BIOS histories I know. First HP provided an unencrypted BIOS and at later revisions it suddenly was released as an RSA encrypted version.
    To remove the whitelist completely you have to be familiar with disassembly. It is difficult, because there are no generic way and instructions.

But it is mostly located (HP) at module E62F9F2F-4895-4AB5-8F1A-399D0D9C6B90. The way to patch it is to change an conditional jump to an unconditional.
    Far more easy is to replace an existing card ID with the one you want to run.
    Unfortunately I am not an expert with it. I can take a guess where it might be only...
    To recover a bricked notebook you have to use the decrypted EFI. Andy's tool creates it and gives you the right path and name for recovery.
    Anyway to be honest it is a risk you should think about if it's worth.
    TTAV134 is our expert in this, but he has stopped to remove whitelists....

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    It is not locked since you can change it to the higher clock speed. The problem is that the CPU becomes instable and the BIOS reverts it to default. It is simply a too big step you are trying to overclock.

There are CPUs that tolerate a huge amount to overclock, it also depends on the batch you have got. You can get a batch of CPUs that tolerates a high value and you can get a batch that doesn't allow it.

How are CPUs manufactured: CPUs of the same type are released with different hardwired default clock. The faster ones are of course more expensive. But it happens that customers ask for a cheap CPU with a low clock speed and the manufacturers have produced CPUs that would run with a faster clock. So what do they do? They simply downgrade the CPUs by hardwiring them with a lower clock speed to satisfy the market.

You are lucky to get such a batch then. There are even forums which have listed the best batches by listing the batch numbers and freaks are asking for the particular batch.
    So CPUs of the same series with the lowest clock speed are usually better overclockable than the ones released with a higher clock speed, since there are more resources left.

Also you cannot simply increase the clock without to adjust the CPU voltage. You need more voltage to remain a working state of the CPU.
    Increasing the CPU voltage also causes more heat. This is the reason why overclocking freaks are using a huge cpu cooler to conduct away the heat.
    I suggest to read at a OC related forum. Most freaks are posting their proper BIOS settings.
    Anyway with a stock cooler you cannot overclock much.
    The risk would be overheating of the CPU and damage of it!!!

The core I7 Nehalem (D0 stepping) for instance allows to be overclocked from 2.8 to 4.0 GHz!! with an OC cooler.
    There are CPUs that already struggle when trying more than 0.5 GHz.......

I don't know what's about intel quad q6600 and if it is a model that is very overclockable...