RT10 "RealTrace" RFID Reader for pets - Battery replacement ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by itsmemario1, Aug 15, 2017.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2012
    #1 itsmemario1, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You'll need a new battery because obviously you obliterated the old one, Looks to be of a proprietary type which means you'll have to track down the manufacture and see what they can do to provide you with a new battery, Do not be surprised if they tell you that this is not a user serviceable part, or that it may no longer be supported and you get no help from the manufacture.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    although is off topic but I don't can resist I never see nothing seemed :eek: maybe because I lived long time into forest :p sorry for no help you in some manner o_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    I guess you are right..why on earth couldnt they just use a "normal" battery. -_-

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Is there a manufacture name and model number on this reader?

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #7 Michaela Joy, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    I would send it back for repair, although you probably won't get warranty coverage (You opened it up.)
    The battery failure might have damaged the charging circuit. (The little board on the battery proper) That might also explain the smell. Also, Lithium is an alkali metal which reacts violently with air, usually catching fire.

Unless you're skilled in SMT rework and have the proper tools, Don't even bother trying to fix it yourself.

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #8 Hadron-Curious, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    I think the battery was probably damaged or gone bad due to any debilitating factors, perhaps, the cause of the aromatic smell. That is usually how a Li-ion battery smells in such circumstance. I have encountered the same smell problem in a MacBook Pro 13 2013 battery (it only has a bulge underneath it) which uses a Lithium-ion battery without any explosion or leakage.

8. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
  9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You need specs like the proper voltages that run your scanner, You should not just pop any battery in there.
    Especially a Li-Ion battery

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    What made you think I suggested that?

Can you post a hi res pic of that small board, component side up?
    Maybe we can figure what power supply IC they're using.

That'll give you a better chance at picking the best battery for it.

11. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    #12 itsmemario1, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    (OP)
    Im aware I shall not just put "something" in there and try to switch it on. :)

But let me exlplain.
    Im aware that mishandling / wrong voltage or a "damaged" board could mean, "bye bye scanner". (or bye bye battery)

But sending this device in, is no option, warranty long gone and I got it from some seller on amazon, while the maufacturer is located in france...thats what the site says at least.
    Not worth the money, effort etc. but Im still awaiting a reply via email.

All of these "flat" batteries come with the 3,7 Volt and just different mAh values. I also have to keep in mind the physical dimensions of it.
    So the one I got fits quite well. I also wasnt able to find similar batteries, so Id say these RealTrace devices use the same batteries as, for example rc-helicopters/cars etc. use.

The problem could be indeed the "board" attached to the battery itself, I agree.
    But the the new battery comes with a similar board, but read on 1st. :)

I seriously appreciate your help and here is a photo of the "board" : (normal view and upsidedown and backside)

8205A - IC for battery protection (2V-24V)

G3J - chip to the right, "G3J" is partly mentioned on similar ICS for Battery Protection

The white font on the board could be : B2 0938, but its hard to tell.

Other then that...the backsite looks like as if those 2 soldering points "melted together" ? (2nd photo with red arrow)

rfid scanner bat board.jpg

rfid scanner bat board back.jpg

The battery I ordered, also has a 8205 IC, which is, as already mentioned, for battery protection in the range of 2V-24V.

new battery.jpg

So, except for the "wrong" mAh (240), this battery should work (at least for 1 scan ;)) if the device doesnt require 1000 mAh for 1 scan. Also, re-charging the device should not be dangerous if only mAh values differ.

Ill await further instructions though, as I dont want to send a photos of fire next. ;)

12. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I can say now you are good to go. You have done your work correctly at least there is nothing so much needing attention that would make one to think the battery would present a problem.

However, I would want you to sort out the reason why one of the ICs got fried in the first case so that you will not have to repeat the same process.

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    Oh yeah...I wanted to share another thought with you.

The metal foil wrapped around the old battery might be some kind of Faraday shield, designed to keep the RF out of the battery control circuit.

( @Hadron-Curious: Thanks for reminding me. :oops: )

15. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    Id say the old board died, because this is...bulk freight, made (cheap) for tenhousands of end users, that wanted to scan their pet. (and other pets they find on the streets) :p
    It is no longer available from the main site and the remainders are still on ebay and amazon...since years. So its old stuff.

This is "made in china" for sure and I dont see any way to find out why it died, but as it worked for 1 scan after recharging, it was probably only the battery.

The next battery will show how many scans are possible, how long it will need to recharge and so on.
    I will defenitely post the results of the tests of the new battery here.

Now go and grab yours, while they are still hot. ;D

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep I hope that you have a good luck in this time :)

17. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
    The new battery arrived.

Physical dimensiosn are a bit off, it hardly fits into the case now. -_-

The security board and its ICs look nothing like the photo...and its soldered so bad, you cant read number on the chips. :/

It charged via USB though...and is still working...lets see for how long.

18. itsmemario1

Sep 10, 2012
  19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Perhaps your USB port is low-powered. You might want to try other ports. Nevertheless, I notice that the milliamp per hour is smaller than in the original battery that came with the scanner - which means there is not going to be a long-lasting scan as you would expect from previous dead battery.