RTM x64 Right Click Explorer Crash?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by twss, Sep 5, 2009.

1. twss

twss MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    #1 twss, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I have had a few crashes too on rtm 64, annoying at the time. They are bound to know about it, and hopefully fix why it happens.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. celtikmind

celtikmind MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2007
    For me, the right-click crashes ceased when I uninstalled Adobe AIR and I'm on the RTM/OEM version. Which btw, I see no reason why we need another "easy scripted app" language or whatever it is for... :rolleyes:

Adobe seems to install a lot of crap extensions to the context menu, even if you choose not to install the program or tool when installing the main suite/application, i.e. Adobe Drive-something.

You can also try using Shellexview made by nirsoft, google it, don't remember the url. It can help in disabling shell and context menu extensions. Disable them one by one and try in between to reproduce the crashes. If they are DLL's you can always try to unregister them using "regsvr32 /u <insert dll-name & path>".

Wish there were some real alternatives to Adobe's bloatware. :eek:

4. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    twss, exactly the same happens occasionally on my RTM X64 installation.
    I see you also have Kaspersky 2010.
    It's only been since changing from KIS 2009 to KIS 2010 that I've had the problem.
    On the Kaspersky forum they are promising a new version of 2010 for windows 7, but will only release it in October when win 7 goes live so I've just put up with it until the new release, hoping that KIS is what's causing the problem.

5. twss

twss MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    I have my suspicions about KIS10 and WinRar but it could be something entirely different, I've used WinRar for longest but just recently realized Ive been using the 32bit version, so on this clean Rtm install I used x64, but the problem was still happening on Rc x64 with 32bit Winrar, so Idk about that, the only other new thing would be KIS10 but that still wouldnt explain the occasional crash when I move files, or would it :confused:

My mom also is using Win 7, she has RC x86 on hers and I just recently put KIS10 on hers and she happened to mention the same thing was happening, although not just the right click crashes, but just in general, she said it happened before, but rarely but it seems recently alot more so what to make of that I dont know, being shes a nooby on the pc (More so than me anyway) I dont know whether I can trust her judgment on how long its actually been happening, if it happened last week thats probably 'a while' to her. lol

6. hiphopboy

hiphopboy MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2008
    Maybe u're using KIS 2010 for your System, you can using Avira , faster, safe and not crash ^^

7. twss

twss MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    #7 twss, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    (OP)
    I don't really want to waste the $75 I paid for a key though :(

8. Porkrinds

Porkrinds MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    #8 Porkrinds, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I got this starting in Vista x64. I figured it was just time to format since i'd had it on for well over a year and it's been abused pretty bad.

Installed Win 7 x64 and same thing happens. Most of the time when I go to empty the recycle bin. THis happened during my setup (adding back my apps, etc after the clean install). I rebooted and it didn't seem to happen. Now today I went to empty the bin and started crashing all over the place again. Then it just stopped. I can right click forever now.

What gives?

Using Antivir for virus scanner. I don't think I use any of that software you listed besides firefox with adblock, java 32 and 64 bit, flash player, media player classic, and uTorrent.

Event log isn't really helpful either. And google comes up with nothing, even using the event log errors.

Code:
    Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9bb
    Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe
    Exception code: 0xc000041d
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000001221
    Faulting process id: 0x948
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca2e46e562be95
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\msvcrt.dll
    Report Id: 1d54e3fc-9a3b-11de-b326-001b2128c64f
    or

Code:
    Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc9bb
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
    Faulting process id: 0xa54
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca2e46ddc79f8b
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 218daa89-9a3a-11de-b326-001b2128c64f
    edit: And in Vista, it seemed worse because I couldn't right click anywhere without it crashing. So far it seems just to be the recycle bin.

9. Porkrinds

Porkrinds MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    No on the eraser question.

Attached a list of running processes just incase. Maybe for comparison. Had to really compress the jpg to make it uploadable to the forums to meet the 97KB filesize requirement.

Attached Files:

10. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Same issue here on x64 RTM. I have KIS 2010 but I think the crashes were happening before I installed KIS.

I've disabled all third party context menu extensions which has reduced the frequency of the crashes so they now only occur *occassionally* but it hasn't eliminated them. Reenabling any context menu items bring the issue back.

Things that might be causing the problem:

KIS2010 - not convinced this is the issue.
    Nvidia Drivers/conext extensions - disabling the context menu seemed to help.
    Logitech mouse drivers - No *real* W7 versions yet.
    Logitech game device profiler - Maybe?

11. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Already tried ShellExView. Disabled everything and still get crashes. It may not happen for ages then bang! Once it crashes it will continue to crash until I restart.

I found one post that suggested that the right click crash only happens in Ultimate and that switching to Professional solved the issue. Is everyone experiencing this issue using Ultimate? Anyone getting it under another version of Win 7?

12. delectableboy

delectableboy MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2009
    Got the same problem with ultimate too; have tried with the pro version, and yes it seems to run WITHOUT the explorer problem. By the way I'm actually running ultimate with AVG anti virus, and I haven't got any problem since the fresh install the last week.
    But I think than ultimate with KIS 10 = crash ...

13. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Hmmm, I too am using 7 Ultimate with KIS2010. No crashes though, but changing to Pro seemed to fix it eh? Makes me wonder if I should switch to Pro, since honestly I am not using any of the Ultimate features....

14. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    dont worry dude..................k-lite codec pack is the real culprit..........it is the main program responsible 4 explorer crashes in win 7..............even if u uninstall it the prblm will still presist.Just do a clean format nd dis time dont install dat k-lite stuff.................

15. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Haven't got K-lite installed. In fact I don't have any codec packs installed.

I did have VLC but I uninstalled it. I wonder if that's left behind a codec that's incompatible?

16. beppe_7

beppe_7 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2008
    #18 beppe_7, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    i'll tell u what it is right now. its firefox. whenever firefox is running in vista 64 or windows 7 64 and i right click i get a crash. its took me a month to figure out since i thought a browser could not do this. b/c of this reason i dont use firefox anymore. and never had a right click crash again.

google it. there are plenty of people with this issue. and there either working on it or in deninal about it so far

oo and this issue is not in 32 bit os's

17. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    beppe, can you confirm that you are talking about an explorer.exe crash (the desktop) and not iexplorer or firefox crashing?

I do have FF3 installed but the desktop crash still happens when FF isn't running.

18. SirSilentBob

SirSilentBob MDL Senior Member

Jun 5, 2009