Rufus vs. Windows Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SightUp, Dec 22, 2015.

1. SightUp

SightUp MDL Senior Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Is there a difference? Is there any extra files added by Rufus? Or anything left out? And the same with Windows Creation Tool?

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Rufus works better and is overall superior in all respects. Though windows creation tool is basic and gets the job done. However, there is no GPT/MBR etc option like in Rufus.
    About Rufus, I have seen that for GPT partitions and UEFI, pen drive should be formated to FAT32.
    I am not able to make Rufus work on MBR and BIOS computers. What should be the format of pen drive (Rufus does NTFS).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, agreed Rufus ever since long time :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Universal USB installer I use very handy tool where Rufus fails for me on Bios that only work with fat32 :tea:

5. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ...Media creator does not make a pendriver GPT/MBR installation like a rufus,only down the esd and make the iso....:biggrin:

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Rufus supports UEFI with NTFS formated drives - just choose the right option (on Linux now so I can't check) but in essence it puts a hidden FAT32 partition at the beginning (for booting) that launches the ntfs3g driver for the NTFS partition (to allow files larger than 4GB) - may have to disable secureboot though.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    FAT32 for UEFI is a thing of the past. Read the following Superfly's comment. Strange now you say not being able to make Rufus work on MBR and BIOS computers. I've always been able to...:g:

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I do a lot of notebook upgrades (usually MSI) & instead of trying to clone M.2 SSD's I run the MSI Burnrecovery software to make a USB recovery key (you can run it from oobe).
    The key is also NTFS & boots UEFI. Diskpart only shows 1 partition so I don't know how they do it. I only noticed when I saw 1 of the split wim was 8gb in size...

9. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    EUFI recognizes setup.exe and so does not require a boot partition

10. garlic

garlic MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2015
    No.

efi\boot\bootx64.efi
    -or-
    efi\boot\bootia32.efi
    -or-